• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wonderpus - Fontanelle

Interesting observation; do you think that this has something to do with the fact that it's morphology looks more apt for gliding and swimming (laterally flattened extensively webbed arms) than crawling and exploring? In other words; that you would unlikely find a wonderpus in a tide pool?

From what I have personally seen of muck habitat, there really aren't tide pools at all. My understanding is that they absolutely stay in the muck, buy maybe someone who has seen them in the wild will chime in with better information.

Neogonodactylus;90679 said:
The bait shop that I buy from said that he had used a different supplier who catches them in a different location in the bay. I suspect some sort of pollutant, perhaps heavy metals. In the mean time I've switched back to frozen grass shrimp and the mortality is down.Roy
One of my greatest concerns when rearing squid. I've used a mix of species to rear these squid: Tenagomysis novaezelandiae, days 1-20 (and these are known from a heavily polluted site only); T. chiltoni (days 20-40/50), and the habitat in which this mysid occurs is almost gone locally; and for days 50-80 Gambusia affinis (from a few ponds that are not exactly healthy, but in which the fish thrives) and Palaemon affinis, from an adjacent piece of estuary, also highly modified and with very high heavy metal concentrations. From ~ 80 days I can provide sufficient numbers of juvenile yellow-eyed mullet (Aldrichetta forsteri) and palaemonid shrimp to keep ~ 20-30 squid going, but it is exhausting work. After ~ 120 days they will take dead fish, but have to be weaned on to them, and only after they've eaten them live (and recognise them).

Basically everything in their diet up to ~ 80 days is likely polluted, but there is no other readily available or appropriate prey item to collect for them. It would be interesting to compare heavy metal concentrations in these squid reared in captivity with comparable-sized animals taken in the wild.

Its sad that local natural resources are not trustable. I had the same worries when I was collecting pods for baby cuttles and crabs for adult cuttles. Interestingly, since switching to bait shrimp, this round of adult cuttles were much larger than the last. At the same time, it is totally possible that the mortality of the eggs that were laid this time around is due to polluted food.

The wonderpus seems to be doing just fine btw. :biggrin2:

Pouncing

I fed him last night and was able to shoot still of the 'pouncing' behavior. The shrimp I fed was very small, so I am hoping that when I feed him next, if I feed him a small shrimp, I can get him to pounce again. I have more pics of the event (3 a second!), but I think these 8 give a fair representation of the pouncing.

Pretty sensational stuff. You have to excuse me (I am quite colour blind, so shouldn't comment), but has this animal changed colour over the past 6 weeks? When I compare the first few images on the thread with these most recent ones they appear quite different, especially the ocular cirrus (red earlier on). Is its colouration variable, are the differences attributable to camera exposure/flash, or am I losing the plot (I know octopus are capable of pretty sensational colour change, but I'm not familiar with Wunderpus, or its abilities)?

The occy does change color, from pale to vibrant (forgive me for not being more specific, but I am partially color blind as well). In the pounce pose the color is very different than 'normal'. There have also been aquarium lighting changes that may account for some of it, and he may be changing color less as he gets used to captivity and me looking in on him both with and without a looming lens.
He has become much less reactionary when I walk into the room and the spectacular flaring arm poses have become much more infrequent which makes me happysad.

Speaking of color -

Here is a shot of him in cammy mode, with different lighting.

Since he seems to have adapted nicely, I am finally learning the camera and willing to mess with the setup and risk peeving the occy. This shot was taken with my video dive light as the extra source. I have also switched to shooting in RAW (wow).

Squid acclimate well to a flash, although they are initially startled (the first few days). We know because we've had them on public display ... and despite have signs up saying 'do not use flash' the public would do so 1000 times a day.

I don't believe it did any damage to the squid, because they continued to hunt their prey without any obvious problems ... but I'm still rather nervous about too many close-up flashes, especially on your lttle fellows eye.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back