• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

Jennifer,

As Thales mentioned, this may not be something you WANT to try but I am having success keeping Trapper (mercatoris) alive (8 weeks since her eggs started hatching) feeding Cyclopese. She stopped eating dead shore shrimp about 2 weeks ago but I noticed she would sweep the water when I fed the babies (living in a breeder net in the same tank). It took me a while to realize she was trying to eat the small particles in the water but when I made direct attempts to feed, she was very anxious to eat and grabs my hand trying to get at the food. It is expensive and makes your nitrates rise quickly because of the quantity needed just to get some to her but it is sustaining her. She is obviously still hungry no matter how much I try to feed and I keep experimenting with ways to allow her to eat more without the majority going into the water column.

The baby cuttles were eating it well the first week (which is why I suggested trying it) and didn't get serious about the shore shrimp until I cut way back on feeding the cyclopese. I still give them a little in the AM but they are pretty much weened onto the shrimp.

:cry: I found Scrunchy's cuttlebone tonight and what was left of his body. I hadn't seen him for a couple of days, so I feared the worst. I just hadn't had the time to take apart all of the rocks to find him... Cuddly is still hanging in there - I see him every day - not interested in food, but he still peeks out at me from underneath the rock.

rotj.jpg

Good the hear Jennifer!

An update on my remaining three boys:
They were having problems catching food a few weeks ago, but seem to have gotten better. They also display at each other as if they are still teenagers.

Update on Cuddly. He seems to be doing a little better lately. He actually seems hungry and comes out from under his rock to capture food. His accuracy has gotten better lately too. He is not as interactive as he used to be, but he will still peek out at me from under his rock. He seems to still be growing, I wish I had a bigger tank for him, I think he would like a little more space.

Cuddly is as big as my four (oops, five...)-year old's hand. I will post some pictures later. Today Cuddly was totally out and let both of my daughters pet and cuddle with him. My nine-year old commented that he is bigger than Scrunchy was and there was a good 1/2 inch difference between Cuddly and Scrunchy. I offered some shrimp and he immediately caught the shrimp on the first attempt. Nice to have him back out and interacting with us.

Cuddly is about 5 inches total length - I promise to post pictures soon! He is hungrily eating any shrimp that I drop in the tank. He looks great, his skin looks good (no white patches), and he has great aim.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back