• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WC bandensis eggs!

Since it is May, I thought I would update you. The cuttle-kids are still doing well - I have almost had them for a year!!! :shock: . I never expected to have them this long. I got them last May 19th and I think they were about a week old when I got them.

:shock: I just caught Cuddly putting his hectocotylus inside of Scrunchy's mantle... They were flashing their male colors at each other and then Cuddle approached Scrunchy from the side (the male usually approaches the female from the front so that they are facing each other) and then I saw him slip his arm inside of Scrunchy's mantle... AND Scrunchy let him do it - he could have moved away...

Also, Scrunchy is starting to show a few patches above his eyes that no longer change color... definite senescence...

Jennifer!

I hate following your posts with similar post, but your posts remind me about stuff to do with cuttles and my attention has been elsewhere for a while.

I caught two on my males coupling a couple of weeks ago. Head to head, arms wrapped up with each other. :biggrin2:

Mine have been getting less accurate with their tentacles, often just grabbing shrimp with their arms. When my female was going, I would hand feed her the shrimp because thats the only way she would eat.
As you say, definite senescence.

Jennifer,

I got my little guys last week and lost one almost immediately. The other two seem to be doing fine (They are changing colors and ink if I get too close when feeding :roll: ). At what size (compared to the shrimp) is it safe to put in shore shrimp so that the shrimp are the hunted and not visa-versa?

At almost 7 weeks, the octo babies seem to be able to handle shrimp that is their entire length but I am continuing with some of the filter feeder sized foods until I am sure all of them can catch the shrimp. I have ordered more shrimp with a note for the smallest available but need guidance on when I can safely try them with the cuttles.

Thanks,

dwhatley;94321 said:
Jennifer,

I got my little guys last week and lost one almost immediately. The other two seem to be doing fine (They are changing colors and ink if I get too close when feeding :roll: ). At what size (compared to the shrimp) is it safe to put in shore shrimp so that the shrimp are the hunted and not visa-versa?

At almost 7 weeks, the octo babies seem to be able to handle shrimp that is their entire length but I am continuing with some of the filter feeder sized foods until I am sure all of them can catch the shrimp. I have ordered more shrimp with a note for the smallest available but need guidance on when I can safely try them with the cuttles.

Thanks,

Mine were probably about a month old - they can eat shrimp that are bigger than they are, so try a small shrimp and see how they do... good luck!

Jennifer,

I found a small shrimp in my lion fish cache and put it in the net. This AM I found a shrimp head sticking out of a cuttle mouth:cuttlezz: .

My order for tiny shore shrimp came in this morning so I will try keeping 2 live shrimp in the net but continue to put in the smaller food, dispensing with the dreaded live mysis. If the shrimp start disappearing daily, I will only offer the cyclopese as a change and drop the rest.

I am encouraged but still not confident :cool2:

Thanks!

the end is near...

Things don't look so good with the boys. They are refusing food (it is walking right in front of them. They are pale, sitting listlessly on the bottom. They have patches that don't change color and one of them looks like it has an abrasion where some skin is sloughing off. I let my daughters give them one more pet and say goodbye. I am going to do a water change just in case that is causing the behavior, but I am not hopeful. :cry:

They also may rally, fade, rally again. I was sure my first bandensis was on its way out for well over a month before it finally died.

Have you tried putting shrimp in its arms? Of course you would have to decide if prolonging the life of a senescing animal is in the best interests of the animal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back