Which protein skimmer do you have, and do you recommend it?

Jimmy55002000

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
My pre-owned Pro Clear 150 has been running for a week now and I haven't heard anything bad about it (despite hours and hours of research), and I have nothing bad at all to say about it. It took a day or two for it to break in, but once it kicked into high gear it started roaring! This is my first skimmer, but it is an obviously a very advantageous design, easy to tune and a breeze to maintain. I recommend this skimmer 100%. I cruised ebay for a month or two and got it for a steal. If I ever find a flaw, I will be sure to revise this testimony. Until then, I would say the (more than twice what I paid) brand new value of $149 is still worth every penny of skimmer power you will get.

octomatic

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
I got an Eshopps Gen II Skimmer 75gal. this skimmer is awesome! its a lower priced one. i think i paid $120. the new models have better water level adjustment and a larger needle wheel pump. I use it in my sump and even if i remove my bubble sponge i get ZERO micro bubbles in my main display. I tried to break it in with a vinegar bath, but i still took a week to really start producing some gnarly skimmate. i am very happy with this purchase

ieatfalalfel

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I use an aqua C remora. Alot of people really love these, but mine does not pick up much skimmate. I do not have a ceph in my tank yet, but I used to have triggers that were super messy and it got barely any skimmate.

Kerrick

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Euro Reef (I believe CS8-5) with a 5000 gph pump on my 46 gallon bowfront. This skimmer is the main reason I believe I have had such good luck getting into the hobby...(this tank is my first fish tank and I got it in March)

rjd0521

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Reef Octopus Dual 6 Recirculating Skimmer and feeding it with a 500gph rio pump. It works great in my 185 gallon tank and pulls a lot of nasty skimmate. It is actually my second skimmer. I used to have a bubble magus that caused nothing but problems. It used to overflow every time I would do a water change so I got rid of it and spent the extra money on the reef octopus skimmer. Since the reef octopus is not located inside the sump, I have less issues with heat and my water quality has been great ever since. If you have a good pocket, I would definitely recommend it.

QueenB

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Innovative Marine Medium size skimmer (up to 65g)

My only complaint sofar is the plastic screws and design of the bracket was useless. It doesnt hold it ontot he skimmer let alone on the tank. I have mine suspended on egg crate and it has been skimming like mad.

Loving the dark green thick muck it's producing.

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
I've read over this thread a few times, but I'm not any closer to making a decision.

Wondering if someone could make a recommendation for a good protein skimmer for a 55 gallon tank (so I guess rated up to 200 gallons) that would fit nicely in the sump area I have:

Appreciate any advice, thank you.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have a lot of space so you options are going to be limited. Height is a major consideration in addition to cubic inches. Many skimmers require several inches above the skimmer cup to allow removal for emptying. Do you have room outside the sump? The skimmer cannister can (usually, if fixed it will be outside) be placed inside or outside the water containment area. I prefer mine inside to minimize overflow problems but my new unit had to be placed outside due to design of the brackets. If you can hang the cannister outside (still keeping in mind height) you still need room for the pump and return piping. For lower end units (I have never owned a high or mid range skimmer but have owned a skimmer twice as expensive as the units I now prefer) I recommend the Coralife brand. But which unit will depend upon what fits. Fortunately, their rating is much closer to reality than most other brands.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faceofbowe09

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan