[Octopus Eggs]: Trapper's Babies - Tank Raised Mercatoris

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
gholland;118342 said:
Sorry about 'Dusa D. :sad: 2nd oldest mercatoris on record?
Hard to say. :razz:. I don't think HideNSeek will live another week and all six were born over a 5 day period so technically they could be as much as 5 days apart in age. I don't know of anyone else keeping Mercs this long and Roy recently answered my question about dwarf ages by saying their last Merc recently died at 12 months. I know they have done well for Mercs but I don't really know how well. The two :smile: CB young are very small and the "female" would most likely starve if not pipette fed every night but we will see what happens when they are put in the small tank that housed Sisturus and Medusa. Little Girl appears to be (she doesn't get out much) the same size as Wiley even though she does not hunt and Wiley hunts for all his food (energy conservation vs more food?).

Thanks for the empathy everyone, it will be strange not to have these guys around. We will go on vacation in June and I am worried about how the octos will fare. 'Tane is not young and the little ones are so small, I don't know if their life span will be shortened because of their dimunitive nature.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
RIP HideNSeek - 14.5 months

HideNSeek passed on last night. Not only because he is the last of my tank raised Mercs but his death was the most difficult in that he did not have a "stroke" like his two long lived brothers. When it was obvious he was dying I moved him to Sisty and Medusa's tank where he languished for close to a week. The day I was sure he was not going to live another 24 hours, I put him in a container with an air stone (It bothers me that Dusa may have been partially eaten before he died). He survived, more or less, for two more days. He was totally limp but would occassionally move an arm (no ability to attach to me or the walls). Several times I thought he was dead but I would see color changes and arm movement. I know this can happen with a dead animal but when I picked him up and turned him upside down, there was distinct movement around the mouth.

On the second day in the container (I changed out his water twice a day) he began to float with arms fully extended downward. I believe he may have gotten air under his mantle. It was sad and made me consider euthanizing him but oddly interesting. The next day, he was sitting on the bottom of the tank, still alive but barely.

The undesired extension of his life made me ponder about the air stone and possibility of extra oxygen (or lowering of CO2)being the cause. It is not something pleasant to watch but extra air exchange might be something to consider when an octo first arrives, shows stress but is not dying of natural causes or the water temperature is higher than it should be.

Nancy

Staff member
Reaction score
RIP HideNSeek.
:angelpus:

I feel I know your little octopuses because of this excellent journal you've been keeping. Sorry for your loss.

Nancy

Reaction score
I have read through the stories of Trapper and her offspring, now. A poignant story indeed.

The details were fascinating, the successes worth cheering, and the ending no less sad for all its inevitability.

Thank you for your time, your care, your observations, and your diligent documenting of these little personalities. And thank you for the heart and spirit and dedication that you bring to the interaction; your work enriches us all.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
That seems so very long ago and in terms of octopus lives, I guess it was. I once read a back handed complement on another forum where the writer suggested reading one of my "Trapper et al" journals for care information. The writer mentioned that the journals were detailed and that the reader might not want to read ALL of it with the side note that went something like "I can see where you might not want to" :biggrin2:

One of the advantages of being a hobbiest and not a biologist is that I am allowed all the anthromorphism I care to present and can present observations without the need to scientifically explain them. I do try to give countering explanations but I am not tied to it :wink:

Of course, I am hoping at least one of my little ones makes it into your next book in some way as it extends the experience. Something I strive to do with the preserved remains that often find a home with a young enthusiast.

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bee_bee

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak