• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

[Featured]: Octopuses used in research could receive same protections as monkeys

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Important info for our community! This is predominantly related to laboratory studies, but will likely engage the hobbyist community as this progresses.

Important info for our community! This is predominantly related to laboratory studies, but will likely engage the hobbyist community as this progresses.

could? they deserve it

I think this is an interesting topic with SOOO MUCH MORE NUANCE than is being discussed in the articles or by the folks proposing these new guidelines. I am all for ensuring that cephalopods, all animals really, are cared for properly under laboratory conditions. However, statements like the one below from the article give me pause to what the true motives are of the folks are initially supported these proposals.

"Even with these protections in place, we know that animals still suffer. Ultimately, cephalopods belong in the ocean; all invasive cephalopod research should be replaced with either human-specific approaches that are better suited for translating to human health outcomes or noninvasive, observational wildlife research."

Greg

And just for transparency, I was/am part of the "Cephalopod Scientist" group that provided guidance on this proposal. I was hesitant to get involved for many reasons, but I wanted to be a part of the process because from where I stood, there did not seem to be a voice in the group reminding folks that caring for cephalopods in laboratory conditions already requires excellent care of the species being studied. Scientists doing research on cephalopods provide excellent husbandry practices and continually adapt their practices as we learn more about caring for them. I wanted to highlight this because it seemed as if scientists were being attacked for not providing excellent care.

"The Clinic is representing the New England Anti-Vivisection Society (NEAVS) and a coalition of well-known cephalopod scientists and other organizations, including the American Anti-Vivisection Society; the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine; the Humane Society of the United States; Humane Society Legislative Fund; Jennifer Jacquet, PhD; Becca Franks, PhD; Judit Pungor, PhD; Jennifer Mather, PhD; Peter Godfrey-Smith, PhD; Lori Marino, PhD; Greg Barord, PhD; Carl Safina, PhD; Heather Browning; and Walter Veit."

Greg

glad you are lending your voice and expertise to this, Greg. Agree with all points... not to mention how much citizen scientists have contributed and the potential they still represent. This forum stands as an example!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back