meeting a local - Situ(O.gibbsi or O.tetricus)

D, it is a small octopus but I think that the view is a bit out of proportion. When the octopus is sitting there relaxed the arms are about 2.5 to 3 inches long, what does still amaze me is how far they can stretch that arm.... close to 3 times that distance with ease.

I don't think that amazement ever goes away. Beldar's front arms are about a foot when relaxed but we don't see her stretch them much (she does but they are investigating the LR). SueNami, on the other hand reminds me of "Stretch Armstrong" doll (remember those?) on steroids.

Well it’s been just over a month since I last wrote here, I was holding off writing hoping for something interesting for my 100 post but if I did that you would be still waiting for #100.
I have been down to the beach every weekend and some times during the week for the last month but only made it over to the island once and on that occasion the water was so dirty that I couldn’t see more than half an arm length in front of me. I was hoping that I would be able to see a little better in the rock pool.

Like that trip all the others have all ended in disappointment, we have had nothing but dirty water or big seas and now we have another “low” pressure system hovering over us again. This is expected to stay until after the weekend, and then with the rough seas it will be at least another week or so before I can think of venturing across there. So mean while I just sit here and read about everyone else’s stories.

It’s been a long, long time but I finally got back to the rock pool today. The sky was as blue as it is in summer but the water wasn't that warm.... 19 or 20 degrees. I took about 2 minutes to check the usual haunts and yes Situ was still there. Only MUCH bigger, his reach now was at least as long as my finger tips to my elbow.

At first he backed away into his den and the closer I moved in the further he went back. The water was just too deep to be able to float and reach down so I had to hold my breath and hold myself down to be able to take any pictures. After about the third breath he followed my hand back out, then left his den and came within touching distance and just sat there.

As soon as I moved the camera in closer that was it.... he wanted to either use the camera or just play. For the next half an hour he wrapped his arms around the camera and my arm. Yes I was worried a bit about him taking a lump out of me, so I kept peeling his arms off every time he started to get to good a grip and pull too hard. After nearly an hour I don’t know if it was just the cold water I was at the point of having to get out, maybe I should have worn the wetsuit.

As we left ( I had Niece (Kaaryn) with me, she too was over the moon) he followed us around the edge of the pool and came to the surface. Yes we went back to play a little more, he actually broke the surface and reached out and held onto my fingers as you can see at the end video that I uploaded in the Video section.

Ahhhh ... come on summer..

Attachments

• conv_294450.jpg
    conv_294450.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 104
  • conv_294451.jpg
    conv_294451.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 96
  • conv_294452.jpg
    conv_294452.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 130
  • conv_294453.jpg
    conv_294453.jpg
    974.8 KB · Views: 90
Well the end has come.... there is no more Situ.

I have been back 3 times since my last encounter and there is no sign of her. No empty shells, no crab skeletons...nothing.

I assume that she has mated and moved out to sea to start the next generation or the next :baby: in my story book. It appears that I was very lucky on my last visit, to have her in such a playfull mood and then actually have her walk along the side of the rock pool, follow me and then have her reach out of her watery world to touch me.

So all I can do now is to go back and watch and wait for the next one.

Attachments

• conv_294579.jpg
    conv_294579.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_294580.jpg
    conv_294580.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 114
  • conv_294581.jpg
    conv_294581.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 112

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back