I want to do graduate research on cephalopods. What do I need to do?

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I agree. It was SO awesome to be able to watch all the presentations on YouTube like that. I'm definitely looking forward to attending the next TONMOcon.

After doing more research into cephalopods, it looks like the biggest need researchers and aquarists have is for live shellfish culture to feed them. I'm thinking research into the aquaculture of a commercially valuable crab or mussel species might be the best contribution I can make. Crabs have such a stupid expression on their faces, though. :) Oysters are a popular farmed species, but I don't think they are particularly good for octopus, are they?
You also have to be aware that many species of cephas actually won't feed on molluscs! None of the species I've worked with here in NZ would touch clams etc nor dead food, it was live crustaceans all the way!!

Also check out the NZ Green lipped Mussel industry......these have been cultured here for many years.

I agree with what everyone has said regarding grad work. NZ might be an option. University of Otago has a Marine Science department and there are scholarships available for international students. Check out http://www.otago.ac.nz/international/otago004129.html for heaps of info on coming to Otago as an international student, you'll need to weed through the undergrad stuff!! Also, look here for Marine Science http://www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/index.html

Kat Bolstad (Tintenfisch) also works with Cephs in NZ but at Auckland University of Technology (opposite end of the country!)....rest assured neither location gets as hot as Texas, Otago can get cold in winter but not to the point of six feet of snow or anything drastic like that!

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep there are a few of us down here in Oceania. I would add for your consideration Dr Jan Strugnell at La Trobe University in Melbourne, who does a lot of molecular work on cephs if your interests lie in that particular field. We do some molecular work here as well but our main genetics person (Heather Braid) needs to finish her own PhD before she can supervise ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genesis B

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards