Breeding Journal, Species: Sepioteuthis sepioidea

Conclusion

Sadly with a not so great ending.

Five eggs hatched. I saw two (the last really tiny one I accidently forced cleaning up the tank as I did not realize there was one still left) and both had large yolk sacks. The other three I did not see at hatching and had no yolk sacks when I spotted them. All but the last lived for about 24 hours but no more (only a few hours for the last one). They acted more benthic than pelagic and stayed primarily at the bottom of the net but would swim when disturbed. The yolk sacks made swimming an effort and disappeared within a few hours (I think detached, not absorbed).

Hatchlings were place in a large breeder net in the same tank.all hatchlings were found. Hatchlings were easily hand caught and moved to a second net in the same tank without taking them out of the water.

I hatched out brine shrimp since the food I had planned for (crabs with eggs and mysis) was not ordered soon enough. The new hatched brine was mixed with Cyclop-eeze when introduced to the net. Only one squid seemed to try to eat (the second to hatch) and only during the first feeding attempt. It started swimming when the brine was introduced but I could not see any red in the body to tell if the Cyclop-eeze was being eaten.

I experimented slightly with gentle current. I placed a small Koralia in thank and aimed it at the bottom of the tank, causing a reflected upwelling of water into the net. I also tried aiming the Koralia at the back of the tank for a different reflective pattern. The current did not produce obvious changes. Any direct flow into the net would blow them around but no direction kept them off the bottom of the net. The sides of the net did not seem to have any influence. I added a piece of live rock to the net to see if the would shelter there. The weighting down of the net in the center did collect the animals but the rock did not seem to provide any form of intentional sheltering.

What I learned positive.

1. Hanging the eggs is required. Those left sitting on the bottom of the net did not develop. One that was hanging and was developing died after it fell and sat on the bottom of the net for only 2 days.

What I would/will try differently if I have a second opportunity:

1. Increase temp slightly to encourage growth/maturity more rapidly hoping hatching will not occure while yolk sack is not absorbed.

2. Order food when eyes appear.

3. Try a round container to see if the benthic behavior is associated with container shape (will use a bio-orb). There was no indication that sides made a difference but the Steve found round important with other species.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back