• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

a little help?

ccopelin

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I want to start off by saying i just got bashed on another forum for trying to buy this guys so a little help only plz.
One of my LFS has what i am fairly certain is a wonderpus even tho it is labeled as a mimic. I have been keeping and setting up marine systems for ppl for over ten years so a nice tank and optimal water is not an issue. Now i have never kept a ceph but this guy is screaming my name and eventually some newcomer will get it and kill it. It has been there for 2 weeks and they have it eating emeralds and pinky mice. Seeing it eat good makes me think its healthy, but every time i go look at it its colors are very dull. Its legs are pushing 4~5" and head is about dime sized. I have a great custom 45 gal. deep with alot of surface area, softies, and a pile of rock in the middle, another 20 gal in the sump and a nice skimmer. I cant catch the yellow tang or 2 fire fish or the few other inverts in it but i dont really mind if the octo make a healthy meal of them. Please help me make this tank its new home. Are they a harder octo to keep? Just cause it is eating now could i get it home and loose it? I really want to make its short life nice :wink:
Thanks

Go here: Rare and exotics.

Also I may be wrong as we dont talk about this species very much but i believe 45 is too small for a mimic or wonderpus. 65 is what we recommend for most non dwarf species of octopus.

That all being said it is clearly stated in the guidelines of TONMO this site does not support the keeping of these creatures. There is a chance they are endangered as they come from only one small region of the world and that region has been decimated by irresponsible commercial fishing.

Guidelines for Cephalopod Purchase or Aquisition:

We recommend purchasing tank-bred or aquacultured cephalopods, when available. Rescued cephalopods, whether from a trap or from live rock, are also recommened.

Wild-caught cephalopods, caught by natural means (no chemicals) are acceptable.

Capturing a cephalopod yourself is recommended only for experienced keepers, and you need to check whether you need a permit.

Do not purchase cephalopods whose populations are threatened or whose status is not known, such as wunderpus and mimic.

Do not purchase blue-ring octopuses because of their potentially lethal venom.

Can you link to the other forum? I find the discussions about these guy to be informative and to give a decent insight as to what the wider population of aquarists are thinking.

ccopelin,
I moved your thread to the exotics and hope you find (there is a redirect for 2 days). This forum is shielded from search engines to minimize viewing and interaction by people wanting the newest cool animal and you must be signed in to find it. As you are finding, the topic is a touchy one and the concern for an already captured animal runs high. Unfortunately if they are purchased, it encourages collection also unfortunately, without collection we can't learn about them and they may disappear because of the vanishing environment.

Thales, has had the most experience with them and you will see some of his findings in these posts. The thread that you should read first, however, is the acquisition of an apparently healthy one that was given to a member recently as it will suggest an answer to,

Just cause it is eating now could i get it home and loose it?

Keep in mind that Animal Mother has successfully kept a number of octopuses.

I must honestly say I don't know what I would do if I came across one in a fish store. I know none of our LSF's would know what to do with it (why are they feeding it MICE?) and that there are very few experienced octopuse keepers, if any, in the Atlanta area, but I don't have an environment that would be close to its natural habitat (unlike the Caribbean animals I keep and concentrate on) so its fate would likely be sealed. I did pass up a nautilus once for the same reason and it still makes me very sad.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back