ID Help Again

ladyocto

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello Everyone,
Hope everyone is well and enjoying their day! I could use a little help with an ID for my new octopus. I was told by the place I bought him from that Smokey was an Abdopus Aculeatus which from my research I've done are supposed to be active during the day. Well Smokey is more nocturnal then the Bocki octopus I had before him so I'm assuming the place I got him from misidentified him and that I've got another dwarf. He's a beautiful octopus, but I really wanted something a little bigger and active during the day which is why I tried to buy an Abdopus aculeatus. I've already contacted the place I got him from and now all they're telling me is he's an Abdopus from Eastern Asia. Any ideas on what he could be? The only dwarf or pygmy Abdopus I could find in the area they're claiming he was caught was a Abdopus abaculus but he doesn't look all that similar to me.

IMG_20240401_111858.jpg

IMG_20240401_111856.jpg

20240327_164202.jpg

20240327_140920.jpg

IMG_20240327_135501.jpg

IMG_20240327_135452.jpg

IMG_20240327_135451.jpg

Solution
Yep it’s a dwarf unfortunately! The only way I can usually tell if it’s an abdopus is by the spiky appearance, the skunk stripe they’ll usually display, or the tiny eyelash flaps that stick out above their eyes lol this one is probably a joubini. If it was a mercatoris, you’d see a star shape around its eyes
Yep it’s a dwarf unfortunately! The only way I can usually tell if it’s an abdopus is by the spiky appearance, the skunk stripe they’ll usually display, or the tiny eyelash flaps that stick out above their eyes lol this one is probably a joubini. If it was a mercatoris, you’d see a star shape around its eyes

Upvote 0
Solution
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thank you very much for ID help 🙂!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back