[Octopus]: El Diablo - O. vulgaris

dwhatley;154931 said:
You mean the, "Diablo is the ugliest octo EVER" daughter? :heee:

I spoke with her about that the other day. At the time of the statement...Diablo was acclimating and was completely white. In her eyes it was ugly compared with Ollie whom was usually very dark which she considers beautiful. She has however changed her opinion of Diablo. He is fast becoming a new favorite with his goofy antics and outgoing personality. I don't want it to end but I know better. :-/

I got this crab at the Asian market. It is a blue crab, can I feed it to Diablo? I would remove any uneaten peices but is it too big? Would it hurt him? I would remove the pincer, it only has one. I picked the smallest one still appx. 4-5" accross. I could not resist, it was only 50 cents.
Anyone know? :confused:

DSCN0425.jpg

Blue crabs, as are any that are small enough (roughly mantle size but they will take down larger), are excellent (do remove the pincher). Waste removal if very important.

My husband is worried because of all his spikes and the little things by it's mouth that it is going to hurt Diablo. He also wants to remove the entire arm the pincer is on, is that really nessessary? I will show him your answer D, if your still here.
Please still be here. :hmm:

Just remove the lower or upper part of the pincher, octos like the claw meat (we feed out dwarf the claws from the fiddlers as a special treat)

Oh, and have your movie camera ready.

sk252006;154988 said:
Yay! Cause I can get them for like 3$ a lbs in Galveston. Much cheaper unless of course I can feed raw shrimp.

well before the BP spill that is. Seafood prices here in Miami have already started to rise even in industries that have not been effected yet, blue crabs being one of them.

I called around today after I read here that blues would be ok. I can get a weeks worth of smallish crabs (7-10 crabs) for 3$. I go to the beach anyway to get my water so its killing 2 birds with one stone. I hope prices dont go up cause I like 12$ a month for food.

Don't forget you need to vary the food as much as possible so include at least some frozen shrimp in the mix and anything else you can think of to try once a week or so, even mixing the type of crab to keep them from being bored with the food. You can even try removing the claws and immediately freezing them to offer later. Each octopus is a little different but all will take live crab.

We returned home after ballet and my brother had stopped by. He was in my kitchen all alone, for a while, he had watched my videos. He was playing with Diablo. Diablo was doing his magfloat trick for him. Good octopuses entertain the guests :biggrin2:
OK now onto the crab, wow, that was one big crab :shock:
We had it all set up, tirpod and everything. We put the crab in the tank and it went all the way to the side. Hurry up move the tripod. Diablo grabbed the crab before I could get the camera rolling, it all happened so fast. He dragged it behind the rocks, could not see anything more. I got a bit just after he grabbed it. All in all it was a success. I removed the crabs empty body. Actually my daughter (thats the ugliest octopus....) reached in and grabbed it out, she wanted to...:yuck:

video~

Now you know why I clearly stated to have the camera ready in advance :wink: You should have videoed Sam taking out the crab, it may have been almost as entertaining!

that was one big crab

El Diablo may not eat for a day or two now so don't be alarmed if there is no appetite.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back