• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Considering an octopus

Redrose2024

Hatchling
Registered
Greetings!
I am considering getting an octopus for my saltwater tank (with all needed filters, protein skimmer, heater, etc). My biggest hold back right now is being concerned about being bitten. I've read it really isn't something they commonly do, but I wanted to talk to some people who actually have hands on experience with them. Is this something to be worried about? If one does get bitten is there a certain way you would need to treat the bite? Thank you all in advance!

welcome to TONMO, and thanks for joining! Here's an informative thread on bites:

welcome to TONMO, and thanks for joining! Here's an informative thread on bites:
Thank you for the welcome and the link to the thread!

Hi Rose, Octopus rarely ever bite. I have had about 8-9 . Never got bit! Depending on species some are more friendly than other. Thanks Tom
Hi Tom, thank you for the reply! What would you recommend for a more friendly species? I've been looking into a few different species, but would appreciate suggestions from someone who has the experience with them. Thanks!

Hi Rose, I have kept Vulgaris, Briearus, Wonderpus, rubinecus and Bimacs. All had different personalities, some more outgoing than others! But If you are able to keep your water temp cool than Bimacs have been consistently the most friendly I have kept. I had about 4 of them over the years. Thanks

Hi Rose, I have kept Vulgaris, Briearus, Wonderpus, rubinecus and Bimacs. All had different personalities, some more outgoing than others! But If you are able to keep your water temp cool than Bimacs have been consistently the most friendly I have kept. I had about 4 of them over the years. Thanks
Hi Tom, thank you! I have been considering getting a chiller for my tank, so I think I'll see if I can find a good one for my tank and then see if I can find any Bimacs. Thanks again!

How cool? I lowered my Bimacs’ temp to 71 degrees, and wonder if that’s too low?

Had my larger Bimac for a month now. Eats like a pig and is typically happy to say “Hi” when I come by. In the last day, it has been much more secretive and won’t accept food. Water parameters are fine after checking. Moved the temp from 71 to 73 last night, until I got your reply. Any suggestions (other than moving the temp back to 70 or lower)?
Housed alone in a 163g peninsula by Waterbox (50g sump), with 3 months’ cycling of all live rock, and some caulerpa. I do have some cyanobacteria, which I’m cleaning out…..likely from food “Bob” has eaten, though I do routinely pick up uneaten food I find.

Hi, you should definitely lower temp slowly maybe 2 degrees over the next day. Then another 2 degrees in 2-3 days. Usually they are ok with 2 degrees a day. They don’t like temp above 70!! Most people keep temps between 65-70 or lower. Thanks

Hi, you should definitely lower temp slowly maybe 2 degrees over the next day. Then another 2 degrees in 2-3 days. Usually they are ok with 2 degrees a day. They don’t like temp above 70!! Most people keep temps between 65-70 or lower. Thanks
Thanks. If he/she doesn’t perk up, any other suggestions? Hoping I didn’t buy an end-of-life ‘pus, since it was larger

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back