[Octopus Eggs]: Zyan's Babies - Please report in!!!

NOT in MY house!!!

Well I guess Sla'neesh doesn't like roommates. I was at the LFS buying some fiddlers and noticed that they had Mollies on sale for $.99. I picked up two of them (2-3"s long) and aclimated them to saltwater. I gave Sla'neesh three of his fiddlers and introduced the Mollies about an hour later. At first he didn't seem to mind them at all. They swam around and seemed to be enjoying there new home. When I checked about a week later there was one missing. While watching TV last night I caught a glimpse of Sla'neesh motoring around the tank chasing the remaining Molly. This morning it was gone. While I plan on keeping Sla'neesh on a fiddler/krill diet does anyone see any issues if I toss in a couple Mollies once in a while for "sport"?

Well, you really shouldn't feed FW to SW. I don't remember exactly what it does, but it can eventually kill them. I'm not an expert though...very far from it.

Is Davey one of Zyans? How much has he grown since you received him? Does he play with any toys offered?

Today, Jess and I are hitting Toys R Us baby section and hope to come home with some different toy options for Spike. He too now comes up to the waterline for his shrimp. Funny to see these legs coming out of the water grasping at anything he can get his legs on. I'm not brave enough to let him "catch" me again!:smile:

Blinky isn't very active at all. She hides in this cheesy octopus figuring that I got at Wal*Mart, and only comes out when I wave a frozen shrimp in front of the hole. I have legos, baby toys, live rock, and marvles in rhere for her, but she doesn't play with them. I took her den and checked it for eggs when she was out eating one day and nothing. Parameters are fine, but I think it may have been because i've been feeding her frozen shrimp for 2 weeks straight. maybe dead food alone isn't enough to keep her energy up? I'm going to the LFS today, ad I can get some FW fiddlers, but my SW fiddler supplier is out of the question. it's been gettig down tin the negatives here at night. We were out of school all this week due to bad blizzards. Thankfully, no power outages to speak of. I'm crossing my fingers and holding my breath as another "Arctic Blast" pummels through the East Coast.

i dont know what kind of octo he is cause hes always changing hes color to black with a white stripe to a multi color with like spinyes but yeah he has gottin a little bigger since i got him when i first bought him i got like 30 ghost shrimp and i had a clown and i put frozen food in the water for him and davey ended up eating it untill the ghosts got to close then bang he started eating them lol and i notice they were dissapering so when he got down to the last one i tryed the frozen stuff and he would come up the the top of the tank and take it from me then i got a crab and tryed it and he like them alot lol

i havent tryed toys yet but i had two little PVC pipe but took it out it was not big enough and i have pics i will take to show my tank its not the best cause i havent really put alot of money into it lol

I have just recieved 2 Bimac's from Zyan i am keeping them both in a 75gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump i will be buying a chiller for these guys and keeping them at 65-66 i will start a new post with pic's.Let everyone know how they interact togther they both ate last night and made a big mess crab parts every where:lol:

3 months and 1 week since Spikes arrival. He continues to grow at an amazing rate. He's too big for his shell any more so he hangs outside it, perched between the shell and a large piece of coral. I got worried yesterday as his new place to sleep is up by the waterline, so I tested my parameters and did a water change last night. I bought a new protein skimmer over the weekend so that is the project for this weekend.

I'd like to hear how the other babies are doing. Are they social? How is their growth rate? What are they eating and do they look for food daily? Any new pics?

Lost GIR
Literally lost him. No Body. No Corpse nothing. watied 2 months since they can hide. there is no sign of him.
Dib is fine and eating and growing
Its too bad Gir was the explorer and always just OUT sleeping where you could see him
Dib is the recluse. doesnt come out unless hes hungry

Happy Day!!

Sla'neesh is doing great. He's more than tripled in size since he arrived.
He's very social. I think he has a crush on my daughter. Any time she walks by the tank, he swims directly to where she is. My camera is down right now but I'll post some pics as soon as possible
It's a great day today!! Sla'neesh actually chose some raw shrimp over a fiddler crab. I'm thinking that will save the checkbook a bit. Now I only have to toss in a couple crabs a month to change his diet some.

Well...if all our babies hatched on August 8, that makes them 8 months old. I love the way they all have no fear of us. I hope we all have them well past a year. Spike hardly hides at all any more unless he's tired of the camera. He sleeps out in the open. Never had an octopus do that before. I think he's just plain nosy and when he knows I'm home or sleeping, just doesn't want to take the chance on missing anything. He eats a crab a day with a 3 to 4" shell. I have been purchasing a dozen crabs every 12 days from the local bait shop. And he doesn't care if it's dead, alive, defrosted as long as it's food. Reminds me of that creature from Rocky Horror Picture Show....FEED ME..........

Mizu;89816 said:
Lost GIR
Literally lost him. No Body. No Corpse nothing. watied 2 months since they can hide. there is no sign of him.
Dib is fine and eating and growing
Its too bad Gir was the explorer and always just OUT sleeping where you could see him
Dib is the recluse. doesnt come out unless hes hungry

Dare I suggest that Dib, may have had a LARGE meal? Cannibalism isn't too unusual in cephs.

J

"Heavyweight bout"

Sla'neesh is THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!! Before anyone gets mad at me this was NOT planned. I picked up some LR from a "friend" and ended up getting a 3" mantis in the process. The fight broke out before I knew about the hitchhicker. I'll admit I panicked (specially after seeing that Blue ring/Mantis video) but Sla'neesh kicked ass!!! Not to sound too heartless but Im "proud as a peacock" over my boy right now! My "friend" is MORE than likely going to get a bit of an asskicking as well. I only wish my camera was close enough to document the battle.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back