• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

YEsss, I just caught a baby cuttle fish!!

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
Aloha all,
Im so excited , I went snorkeling today and caught a baby cuttle fish. He is one inch long! I have some live copepods for him to feed on. Will he eventually take frozen mysis? This is the coolest animal I have had yet.
I seen him cruising along on the surface and I was shocked. Chasing after him , he kept on squirting little bits of ink at me. I was able to catch him in a small bag. Im so happy. He has had a rough start. When i was acclimating him he jumped out of the container and stuck to a cardboard box. He was probably on the box for a minute untiul i found him stuck to the card board. I thought i had lost him . when i put him in the tank he was not moving but came to life after 10 seconds. He seems s to be very active now.

Any tips on raidsing a baby cuttle fish would really help. I am mainly concerned about getting him to eat rt now. will he eat mysis . Thanks all !

Aloha

Attachments

• conv_289074.jpg
    conv_289074.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 162
tridacna said:
Aloha all,
Im so excited , I went snorkeling today and caught a baby cuttle fish. He is one inch long! I have some live copepods for him to feed on. Will he eventually take frozen mysis? This is the coolest animal I have had yet.
I seen him cruising along on the surface and I was shocked. Chasing after him , he kept on squirting little bits of ink at me. I was able to catch him in a small bag. Im so happy. He has had a rough start. When i was acclimating him he jumped out of the container and stuck to a cardboard box. He was probably on the box for a minute untiul i found him stuck to the card board. I thought i had lost him . when i put him in the tank he was not moving but came to life after 10 seconds. He seems s to be very active now.

Any tips on raidsing a baby cuttle fish would really help. I am mainly concerned about getting him to eat rt now. will he eat mysis . Thanks all !

Aloha

Congrats! Take some pics so we can see! :smile:

Here's some links to help you out:

Keeping and Breeding the dwarf cuttlefish Sepia bandensis

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/cuttle3.html

If it is a bobtail squid, then look here:

http://www.longarmlabs.com/longarmlabs_002.htm

I dont think it is a bobtail squid cos i caught him durning the day time. I just got home now and can not find him in the tank. Do cuttlefish hide in rocks? I thought they stay in the water column. I hope a hermit crab or something did not eat the little guy. He has brown spos when he wants to and can also change to clear. What size tank does a 1 inch curttle need

Hi Tridacna,

Cuttlegirl is asking if you are still in Hawaii because if you are and that's where you caught it then it cant be a cuttlefish because none live there.

It will most likely be burried in the substrate

cheers
Colin

Oh sorry about that Cuttlegirl. Im in HAwaii. He is so small it is really hard to tell cuttle fish or squid. Sorry I dont have a pic to provide. I tried taking a pic but my camera is not good at macro shots. The image is blurry. I have not seen him. He is in a 10 gallon. The bottom of the tank is covered in coral rubble. He can change colors from brown to clear and to clear with brown spots.
Yes Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.

tridacna said:
Yes Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.

LOL...only at the Waikiki Aquarium! That, and the odd current drifter...sigh. Still, neat find...need to get him bumped up into a larger tank though...do you have a 20 long or a 30 ?

greg

I have a 55 he will go in but I use the 10 gallon for initial observations. I cant find him in a 10 gal. A 55 would be like looking for a needle in a haystack- not good for observation. The tankl he is in has a good population of copepods so I dont htink he wil starve. Im hoping he will eat frozen mysis soaked in selcon in the future.

There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change.

The fact that I found him during the day time is very interesting. Perhaps he was disturbed from his resting place and decide to take a cruise.

I am still thinking that you have a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. They look like cuttlefish (but are not...) and they are clear with brown spots. Also they are really good at hiding in the sand or gravel. They will swim around in shallow water during the day if disturbed.

Originally posted by Tridacna
There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change.

I used to live in Hawaii and raised cuttlefish at the Waikiki Aquarium. I imported mine from a research facility...

cuttlegirl said:
I am still thinking that you have a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. They look like cuttlefish (but are not...) and they are clear with brown spots. Also they are really good at hiding in the sand or gravel. They will swim around in shallow water during the day if disturbed.

I used to live in Hawaii and raised cuttlefish at the Waikiki Aquarium. I imported mine from a research facility...

I think you are right Cuttle girl. It must be a bobtail. I wish i could see him. I caught him in about 20 ft of water. Has anyone ever kept squid in captivity succesfully? When ur in Hawaii you can see cuttlefish in Kanoe bay at night time

Tridacna once shouted

Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.

and

There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change

No need to be so snotty...

Trust me, you don't get wild native Sepia around Hawaii.

Colin,

What if a shipment of baby cuttles were somehow released into the Hawiian waters? Could it be possible that some breeds of cuttles (given that they arn't eaten first) are able to live and breed in Hawaiian waters?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back