YEsss, I just caught a baby cuttle fish!!

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
#1
Aloha all,
Im so excited , I went snorkeling today and caught a baby cuttle fish. He is one inch long! I have some live copepods for him to feed on. Will he eventually take frozen mysis? This is the coolest animal I have had yet.
I seen him cruising along on the surface and I was shocked. Chasing after him , he kept on squirting little bits of ink at me. I was able to catch him in a small bag. Im so happy. He has had a rough start. When i was acclimating him he jumped out of the container and stuck to a cardboard box. He was probably on the box for a minute untiul i found him stuck to the card board. I thought i had lost him . when i put him in the tank he was not moving but came to life after 10 seconds. He seems s to be very active now.

Any tips on raidsing a baby cuttle fish would really help. I am mainly concerned about getting him to eat rt now. will he eat mysis . Thanks all !

Aloha
 

Black96WS6

GPO
Registered
#3
tridacna said:
Aloha all,
Im so excited , I went snorkeling today and caught a baby cuttle fish. He is one inch long! I have some live copepods for him to feed on. Will he eventually take frozen mysis? This is the coolest animal I have had yet.
I seen him cruising along on the surface and I was shocked. Chasing after him , he kept on squirting little bits of ink at me. I was able to catch him in a small bag. Im so happy. He has had a rough start. When i was acclimating him he jumped out of the container and stuck to a cardboard box. He was probably on the box for a minute untiul i found him stuck to the card board. I thought i had lost him . when i put him in the tank he was not moving but came to life after 10 seconds. He seems s to be very active now.

Any tips on raidsing a baby cuttle fish would really help. I am mainly concerned about getting him to eat rt now. will he eat mysis . Thanks all !

Aloha
Congrats! Take some pics so we can see! :smile:

Here's some links to help you out:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/9/aafeature

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/cuttle3.html

If it is a bobtail squid, then look here:

http://www.longarmlabs.com/longarmlabs_002.htm
 

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
#4
I dont think it is a bobtail squid cos i caught him durning the day time. I just got home now and can not find him in the tank. Do cuttlefish hide in rocks? I thought they stay in the water column. I hope a hermit crab or something did not eat the little guy. He has brown spos when he wants to and can also change to clear. What size tank does a 1 inch curttle need
 

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#5
Hi Tridacna,

Cuttlegirl is asking if you are still in Hawaii because if you are and that's where you caught it then it cant be a cuttlefish because none live there.

It will most likely be burried in the substrate

cheers
Colin
 

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
#6
Oh sorry about that Cuttlegirl. Im in HAwaii. He is so small it is really hard to tell cuttle fish or squid. Sorry I dont have a pic to provide. I tried taking a pic but my camera is not good at macro shots. The image is blurry. I have not seen him. He is in a 10 gallon. The bottom of the tank is covered in coral rubble. He can change colors from brown to clear and to clear with brown spots.
Yes Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.
 

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
#10
I have a 55 he will go in but I use the 10 gallon for initial observations. I cant find him in a 10 gal. A 55 would be like looking for a needle in a haystack- not good for observation. The tankl he is in has a good population of copepods so I dont htink he wil starve. Im hoping he will eat frozen mysis soaked in selcon in the future.

There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change.

The fact that I found him during the day time is very interesting. Perhaps he was disturbed from his resting place and decide to take a cruise.
 

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
#11
I am still thinking that you have a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. They look like cuttlefish (but are not...) and they are clear with brown spots. Also they are really good at hiding in the sand or gravel. They will swim around in shallow water during the day if disturbed.

Originally posted by Tridacna
There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change.
I used to live in Hawaii and raised cuttlefish at the Waikiki Aquarium. I imported mine from a research facility...
 

tridacna

Cuttlefish
Registered
#12
cuttlegirl said:
I am still thinking that you have a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. They look like cuttlefish (but are not...) and they are clear with brown spots. Also they are really good at hiding in the sand or gravel. They will swim around in shallow water during the day if disturbed.



I used to live in Hawaii and raised cuttlefish at the Waikiki Aquarium. I imported mine from a research facility...

I think you are right Cuttle girl. It must be a bobtail. I wish i could see him. I caught him in about 20 ft of water. Has anyone ever kept squid in captivity succesfully? When ur in Hawaii you can see cuttlefish in Kanoe bay at night time
 

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#14
Tridacna once shouted

Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.

and

There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change



No need to be so snotty...

Trust me, you don't get wild native Sepia around Hawaii.
 

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#15
Colin,

What if a shipment of baby cuttles were somehow released into the Hawiian waters? Could it be possible that some breeds of cuttles (given that they arn't eaten first) are able to live and breed in Hawaiian waters?
 

Colin

Colossal Squid
Supporter
#16
Hi chrono,
yeah that is entirely possible but would be breaking several laws. Their introduction would probably cause a major problem to the animals in Hawaii that are already occupying that particular niche and certainly wouldnt be a good thing to do. There are many examples of animals being released where they shouldnt be... grey squirrels, cane toads, rats... even dogs and cats!

I was careful to say in my last post, 'native'. Just to cover any 'accidental' introductions ;)

cheers
 

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator
#17
Colin said:
Tridacna once shouted

Colin, there ARE cuttlefish in Hawaii.

and

There are no cuttlefish in Hawaii IF one relies on books and the internet for the distribution of cuttlefish. Speak to the locals , dive, snorkel and your ignorance will change



No need to be so snotty...

Trust me, you don't get wild native Sepia around Hawaii.
I would also be slightly wary of trusting locals to ID cuttles. Many people that live in places with cuttles think they are squid, and it can be difficult to tell the difference.
 

Hawaii_Cuttle

Larval Mass
Registered
#20
Hello all, I just got back from Hawaii a week ago and I can confirm that there are cuttlefish there.

I was snorkeling on Waikiki (the worst place to snorkel but I was staying there and was bored) in about 4 / 5 feet of water in the mid afternoon and came across four cuttlefish. The three larger cuttlefish were roughly 1 foot in length, with the smaller one about 1/3 the size of the larger ones.

The encounter lasted roughly 15 minutes and in that time I observed the distinctive cuttlefish eye, which looks nothing like the Hawaiian bobtail squid's eye. All four cuttlefish flashed colors at me wildly, and the largest of the four routinely raised a single arm in the water as if trying to tell me something.

I have snorkeled a lot all over Hawaii, Caribbean, and Kenyan coast, and have never encountered an animal that was as curious of me as I was of it. Now I am no cuttlefish expert, but I am 99% sure that is what I saw. They were definitely not Hawaiian bobtail squid.
 

Members online