Yawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I've tried any of the rest of it, but as a 3rd generation Texan, I'm certainly a big fan of grits. They are great in a cheesy grits casserole, but my favorite ('cause my dad used to make it for me when I was little), is eggs over easy, bacon, and grits. You crumble the bacon up, cut up the eggs, mix it all together, and eat it. Oh, throw a pat of butter on the grits before you mix, and don't forget to take your Zocor.

RecipeSource: Garlic & Cheese Grits

Mmm!

Lub,
Shannen

TaningiaDanae said:
OK, I'll bite (pardon the expression): what's galvo? Is that anything like Anzac biscuits?

And what about the googs? Don't tell me the Kiwi chooks have gone on strike!

:lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Galvanised Iron!!!!!!!!!!!! Most often used for building (Sheds, roofs etc!!).

How could I have forgotten the cackleberries! A couple of dozen of those tossed into the mix! And some snags and ya got it!

J

The year I lived in Texas, my girlfriend convinced me to try grits. Personally I just can't see the attraction, it's like eating dirt with margarine. Of course, hummus tastes a lot like dirt and I like that. Go figure.

Tani,

Heh... My mother made a drink from her homeland called Atol de Elote(sp?). Its a sweet drink made from corn and is very popular in Guatemala. I used to drink it when I lived there.

Hominy kicks booty! I like CornNuts on occasion, and the Mexican dishes Posole and Menudo are made with hominy as well. Very interesting fruit.

Never had grits myself... more of a raw oatmeal mixed with yogurt fan myself.... along with...

SUSHI AND SAKE!!

John

John wins the prize! Here's the scoop on Atolé:

It is indeed a wonderful hot drink made from roasted blue corn meal, milk, sugar, and spices. I know it as a Native American recipe, but of course there is considerable crossover between Native American and Latin American cuisine.

I get my Roasted Blue Corn Meal for Atolé from a great online Native American food supplier called The Cooking Post:

CookingPost
[Click on Tamaya Blue Corn, then on Roasted Blue Corn Meal]

Ingredients:

4 teaspoons Roasted Blue Corn Meal
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup (8 oz.) milk [Tani the Dieter uses 1% lowfat milk]
Cinnamon
Allspice
Nutmeg

Place milk, sugar, Roasted Blue Corn Meal, dash of cinnamon and allspice (to taste) into small saucepan. Heat mixture slowly over low flame while stirring constantly, till it thickens slightly and begins to foam at edges -- do NOT boil! Remove from flame, stir again, and pour into cup. Top with a pinch of nutmeg. Serve with a spoon (to stir occasionally while drinking) and enjoy!

HINT: If you've got a frother or cappuccino maker, it's even better topped with frothy steamed milk.

And there ya have it....
:biggrin2:

Hey Tani!

You RULE!

Thank you! I keep forgetting to ask my mother for her recipes (there are actually several flavors), and I would need to translate them from Spanish to English (the metric conversion is a pain though).

Thanks! Sushi and Atole!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back