• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

www.FishSupply.com

i feed my ceph's shrimp, if it's a "special occasion" or i just wanna give them a treat, i'll give em a juicy crab to have a go with, my o.vulgaris "pinky" get's frustrated when i give him crab's, it's amazing the strength he has , tearing it to shred's, and the agility through the water, they're like underwater rocket's!

Colin said:
Getting a good food supply is often one of the hardest things for a ceph-keeper to do... ideally is should be crabs and they should be fresh/alive

Time to start phoning your local seafood shops and see if they can help you out or can you make it to a beach?
I have a beach I can go to.
But it's hard to find sea critters over there.
The only thing I find there are mussels, clams, and oysters all stuck together. But there too big.

o.vulgaris said:
i feed my ceph's shrimp, if it's a "special occasion" or i just wanna give them a treat, i'll give em a juicy crab to have a go with, my o.vulgaris "pinky" get's frustrated when i give him crab's, it's amazing the strength he has , tearing it to shred's, and the agility through the water, they're like underwater rocket's!

Yea, Octopuses are quick, but I think the SQUID is the underwater rocket.

armstrong, wouldn't it be a good idea to hit the fish "supermarket" some time, i get the freshest stuff from these places, literally, they have these places all over florida. :shock:

o.vulgaris said:
armstrong, wouldn't it be a good idea to hit the fish "supermarket" some time, i get the freshest stuff from these places, literally, they have these places all over florida. :shock:

Meh, I live in Howell New Jersey and they have 1 fish market in my city.
Just 1. And it's about the size of my house. It's kinda small and they don't sell a lot of things.
Only the basic fish that we eat, squid, octopus, lobster, crabs, and other basics. Not everything.

Armstrong said:
Meh, I live in Howell New Jersey and they have 1 fish market in my city.
Just 1. And it's about the size of my house. It's kinda small and they don't sell a lot of things.
Only the basic fish that we eat, squid, octopus, lobster, crabs, and other basics. Not everything.

oh, well do they offer anything alive, just curious, i know some crab's might still be breathing,hehe, how about octo's though?

At least you could probably find fresh (as opposed to frozen) seafood at the fishmarket - my bimac has always liked fresh scallops and I buy one every few days. I cut off pieces for him - was able to feed him scallop when he was quite small.

Nancy

Nancy that's basically been what weve been talking about, fresh food at these "fish supermarket's", my o'vulgaris loves all the crab's from these fish market's, by the way why do they call it fish market's, they sell everything even squid why not call it marinelife supermarket or something more proper, na, too compicated and confusing, LOL, hehe..

I've learned a lot more about seafood (Yes, we could say Seafood Market!) since keeping an octopus.

For instance, I live 5 hours by car from the Gulf of Mexico, where our shrimp come from, BUT you cannot buy fresh shrimp here - almost all are frozen on the shrimp boats as they are caught. So I have to buy fresh frozen shrimp for Ollie (which he loves). That's why I try to buy some fresh seafood (like the scallops, flown in from Maine) and also offer some live food.

Nancy

i know this is off-topic but i'm curious, hopefuly you being a mod will excuse this anyway's, nancy have you been to the nrcc?
im gonna study there next semester for my PhD in oceanic biology and i'll be specifically be studying ceph's at the nrcc lol.

may i suggest a visit for you (and everyone else who might be interested) to the left side of the main screen (in the blue) under ceph articles....third article down :smile:

sounds like a possible invitation for a road trip :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back