Wunderpus poll

Toren said:
Not just you - me too! The only pet I would ever have would be a truly domesticated one, like a cat or a dog. And even so I feel guilty for having an apartment-confined cat. I think it's okay to have octopuses and other critters in zoos because they're for educational purposes and for the greater good of their cousins in the wild, but I personally would never keep a wild animal. But maybe I'm wrong, and they prefer the cushy lifestyle and natural death to being chased by predators even though they're cooped up.

I agree with you. I would not want a "wild" animal. If I were to ever get an octi I would like it to be born in captivity. I would NEVER in a million years take an animal out of its natural habitat and keep it as a pet and Im sorry if someone gets mad at me for saying this but I really urge people from this forum to refrain from buying wild octi too. I think there is plenty of suppliers now to get an octi that has been bred and born in captivity. Also bigger the tank the better!! thats why its gonna be a long.. time till I get an octi. I want a big tank, I feel bad for any creature in a small cage.. Thats why I got 3 ferrets running around my room constantly.. i cant bare to put them back in their cage!

joreed3 said:
I think there is plenty of suppliers now to get an octi that has been bred and born in captivity.

Actually, you'd be surprised. The only place breeding octopus for the public may have gone out of business, leaving mother nature as our only source for octopus. The places you're thinking of that sell cb octos are just distributors that don't do any actual breeding themselves.

I strongly agree with what you say in principle, however it must be understood that regardless of where our octos come from, our hobby is inherently destructive to some extent. Check out the thread about the live rock for further discussion down that road!

Dan

Yeah, it sounds like octopets is under. Too bad, but, I hope that some of us can maybe farm some cephs. I wish we had more space!

cthulhu77 said:
Yeah, it sounds like octopets is under. Too bad, but, I hope that some of us can maybe farm some cephs. I wish we had more space!

I just happened to mention this to someone at my LFS this week and they told me that they can get in touch with a diver in the San Diego area if I want to go after eggs. I might photocopy some references at the library this afternoon and read up on bimac reproduction over the weekend.

I know I don't have the resources to breed them (or keep more than one adult), but as long as I've got places willing to take the young I think it would be a good start.

Dan

I think we have enough resources right here in this forum. If people combine forces on breeding or finding "un-wild" octi. We can preserve the creature that we all love so much. My personal goal one day is to breed octi and cuttle and sell them at a very reasonable price to fellow octi-enthusiast. It will be my little contribution to a creature that has captivated me since I was a little child. I would like my grand-children's grand-children's children to also have the oppurtunity to share the earth with such a mystical creature :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back