• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

WTB: Single Juvenile Octo (Vulgaris, Bimac, Mimic etc.)

TIAN

Hatchling
Registered
Hi everyone,

I am an experienced aquarium-owner looking to purchase an octo for a pre-prepped 50 gallon tank with sump and live rock. I'm all set, except for the specimen.

According to the research I've conducted, I'd be lucky to find a mimic online for sale, and even luckier if it was young/healthy enough to make the trip... But i'm just as comfortable owning one of the less 'exotic' species (o vulg., bimac, rube)

I'm currently residing in Boulder, CO. and I'm willing to pay for same-day delivery if possible.

The specimen must be in top-condition (to maximize survival rate), but I'm willing to pay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to where I might find one of these in good condition. Exotic species are not barred, however I obviously would not be interested in a endangered/poisonous type.

Feel free to contact me via email or I'll try to check this forum daily.
([email protected])
Thanks for your time.

There's really not enough known about some of the "exotics" to even determine if they're endangered or not. Even if you happen to find one offered up within the parameters you seek, it'd probably be best to avoid it based on shear ethics, at the moment anyway. Good luck on finding one of the others you've mentioned though! Take lots of pics & post them!

:welcome: to TONMO

There are a few problem with Mimics as toast mentioned there is very little data about the actual wild numbers of these animals and they live in a area that has been decimated by poor commercial fishing practices. Also Mimics historically dont seem to do very well in aquariums. and finally the natural habitat of this animal is a muddy substrate not sand like most aquariums have.

That being said there some species of octopus that are plentiful in the wild and much better suited for keeping in aquariums. like some of the ones you listed.

In a 50 gallon aquarium i think one of your best bet would be to try and find a Hummilinki which is a medium sized octopus from the Caribbean. Another option would be Adopus Aculeatus From Indonesia. which are commonly available from LiveAquaria.com

Bimac would be an option if you can find someone selling them, almost no one right now has them, as their commercial collection in California is not allowed, sometimes we see one available from Mexico. Something to remember about the bimac is that it requires a coldwater tank.

Check out our Octopus availability thread located here:
TONMO Cephalopod Community

and don't forget to check out what other people are keeping in the Journals section here:
TONMO Cephalopod Community

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back