• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

wtas the difrence

hi wats the difrence between a octopus and cuttle i dont know witch to get for my first time can you keep a few cuttles together ive been told they are more facinating than an octo

ok. there is A LOT of information to be had on these forums and in the website articles. if you dont already know the difference between and octopus and a cuttlefish, then you should read as much as you can and come back with some more specific questions. asking "wats the difrence between a octopus and a cuttle" isnt going to get you very specific information.

In his defence, if questions are short, text speak and not thought out, the answers are likely to be likewise :wink:

Steff, you might try again with some length, full words and sentences and, most importantly, specifics about what you information you would like and why you are asking. We have not accomplished internet mind reading yet and many of us don't do the text speak comfortably. We are however, a group that enjoys sharing our experiences and helping new keepers and interested parties learn about cephalopods.

thats true. sorry. im a teacher, and this phonetic writing style drives me crazy. :troll:but, my point remains the same. if you want to know something, especially something that is basic at least try to figure it out before you ask..
im new here. i should try to resist the urge to treat every youngster like they are one of my students.

so a more appropriate response might have been:

Octopus - Wikipedia

Cuttlefish - Wikipedia

and, as for which is more fascinating, that kind of question could spark a serious debate, and probably should be avoided.:razz:

as for which is more fascinating, that kind of question could spark a serious debate, and probably should be avoided
Hummm, a one line per entry attribute "debate" might get interesting. I remember Roy doing something of this nature (not one line at a time though) during an intelligence spar comparing octopuses with mantis shrimp (Roy took the side of the mantis) and I would not want to get into a battle of this nature with him without a lot of preparation :wink:.

As an aside, I'd like to see that argument on mantis shrimp intelligence! Those creatures with their extraordinary eyesight and reflexes have interested me for years, but I've not thought of them as being very high on the IQ scale.

I would guess that humans with some exposure to cephalopods would tend to think of octopuses as more intelligent: they have arms that they use to move things around, walk, use tools, open jars, and so on. The cuttlefish are generally limited to using their arms for camouflage and their tentacles for food capture.

Obviously both are intelligent, especially compared to any other invertebrate but comparing favorably to most vertebrates as well. But just as whales are intelligent without much ability to manipulate their environment, cuttlefish might be more philosophically inclined than are octopuses.

That difference might make for an interesting story... :wink:

Thank you. That was quite interesting -- though two of the original four criteria (having to do with vision) would have mantis shrimp more intelligent than humans. :wink:

I would argue with Roy but not without coming up with "factors of intelligence" of my own. After reading the forum, I came to the same conclusion, setting a ground for "intelligence" needed to be established, but THAT argument still rages in the scientific community so the competition is tough :wink:

I think I felt rryyddeerr's sentiment when reading the OP. OK, maybe give a pass for being a Brit... :mrgreen: (that's a joke). But in the age of SpellCheck I see no excuse for the spelling issue.
Another thing that irks me only a little is the unwillingness for some folks to do even the simplest search and spend at least 2 minutes of their own time learning about something they have a question or interest in.
In retrospect, I'm guessing the OP wished to know the difference in keeping octopus vs. cuttlefish.
Just the same, my best example of what I'm talking about:
I get an email or PM -
Hey, I definitely want to buy some of your cuttlefish eggs.
So what size tank do I need to get.
How big do they get.
What do they eat.
Can I put them in with fish.

If this person saw a post here (they found out about me somehow), why not take 2 minutes to find answers to these common, simple questions themselves? I know I may not feel like searching a site for an answer to a question I have, but will at least give it a try, out of respect for other peoples time.

I recently had someone order and pay for hatchlings, and then contact me a few days later to say that none of the LFS's carried live mysid shrimp and where could they get some.

The problem will not likely go away, so I don't let it get to me. Maybe it is a form of laziness I see way too often.

The text-type I really don't like... Written slang / speak... I don't know. It's possibly becoming even more popular. At times I feel that if someone has so little time to type a proper message to me and has to use this abbreviated version of spelling, then they are being disrespectful to me. They probably are not thinking that, but it's the way I feel none the less.

Texting from a phone gets a pass from me, but it had better be short and an urgent. Sitting in front of a full size keyboard gets no sympathy. :razz:

My apologies.

Perhaps, to the original question:
hi wats the difrence between a octopus and cuttle

the answer would be "how much you shell out."

This is especially true considering the internal construction of the two: you cannot "shell out" an octopus; he doesn't have one. (At the risk of another derailing, is there a thread here that discusses the shells of certain octopus groups?)

wtas the difrence

rryyddeerr;159658 said:
this thread is derailed into, like, three or four different directions! where are the moderators!!?? regulate this insanity!:heee:

We're here, following along in amusement :mrgreen: -- nothing here needs moderating in my view... We try not to have a heavy hand around here but we'll jump in if needed. Nothing all that bothersome here that I can see!

:popcorn:

i was actually mocking some of the other discussion forums ive frequented where mods will guide conversations just to keep people on point. :tongue: hopefully, i didnt scare the OP away with my initial, disgruntled, response. but we can have fun with him and his thread while he's gone, :sly:whatever the case may be.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back