Writing Posts:warning, this is a rant...

Ok then I could spell things badly and then call it a new language! errrrm maybe squiddish?

I only ask this cos on the draft of a paper I'm writing I spelled (sigh...... of course I mean spelt) my name wrong on the title page :oops: and it only has 4 letters :oops: again

J

PurpleTentacle said:
The name "leet"
Surely you mean "l33t" :wink:
But yeah, it's an annoying "language". Although, id10t$ makes a great temporary password. :wink:
Sure does. anyhow l33t languague is old, a relic of ye olden days of telnet and other text-based interfaces (hardly a secret code... as any half-brain nitwit can decipher it... but i suppose that's the point, to make the half-brained feel "elite"). Seems normal it pops up so much in mobile phone lingo as people who weren't around the net the first time think they found something rather cool. They way technology is going, it's likely that all that will remain of txt-language will be a few acronyms (roflmao) and a handful of words (that might make it to the dictionnary if they prove resilient enough)... All in all, a bit a fun or, if taken seriously (i.e. 1 tlk nly txt, l33t m8!!1!) just a sign of a sad life :lol:

TPOTH

Don't you think it's a litte bit generational??? Seriously, when you are given a toy cell phone before your given a bike, and you finish 30 different video games before you can speak 20 full sentences, it has to have an effect.

Kids are being raised with the idea that seconds are not to be wasted on trivial things, such as being polite, much less taking the time to learn how to type properly and quickly enough to finish a whole sentence. But it starts with the parents and the influences they are surrounded by. One out of a hundred customers that walks through my door to place an order from me expects me to help them while they are on the phone with their dentist, mother, cousin-they-haven't-seen-in-ten-years, plumber, lawyer, whatever. They have to be doing two things at once, at least, and that means that nothing ever gets your full attention, including the HUMAN BEING standing in front of them making their food. (Since it's much too temping to do something horrible to these folks' sandwiches and meats, I just ignore them now...But sometimes :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Before I get completely off-topic myself.....(Is there some way to embed and cross-reference these things so that a discussion that starts to lead to far off topic can be spouted on a new branch without cutting it from the tree that it grew from????)

I do have to say though, that while I agree that is it is born out of laziness, some of it is rather clever, and language is as much an evolutionary process as everything else. I think really that it is a matter of time and place, and since rather serious and specific information is being discussed on this site (mostly :beer:), a specific set of language skills should be used by all to convey the best possible infomation for the sake of the animals we are so fascinated with as to have them in our homes.

pipsquek said:
Don't you think it's a litte bit generational??? Seriously, when you are given a toy cell phone before your given a bike, and you finish 30 different video games before you can speak 20 full sentences, it has to have an effect.

Sure do, I've lost count of the number of kids who want to see spongebob in the aquarium tanks! and who arrive with their cellphones and carry on texting through the lab session (or whatever) which I think is just down right rude!

(Since it's much too temping to do something horrible to these folks' sandwiches and meats, I just ignore them now...But sometimes :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Squid slime in the mayo :twisted:

J

Thats 2 bad u guys feel tha way but i jus dont have enough time 2 rite is full words.. its just to time consumin. u no i might just continu doin thins it is just so much esyer then the otha way.. u no wut i am sayin.. i just dont hve time to type cuz i am always lokin afta the octo i dont have and cleanin that tank i dont have etha... i think instead of whinning about ppls spellin i think u should be talkin about the real problems at hand and ppls diein octos.... :smile:

Octowanabee said:
... i think instead of whinning about ppls spellin i think u should be talkin about the real problems at hand and ppls diein octos.... :smile:
Oh, sure, abbreviate the rest but add an extra "n" to "whining."

You're a sly one.

:sly:

Clem

Well think of it this way, Octowanabee,
the time you save in writing like that is made up in the extra time it takes the rest of us to figure out what you're saying :smile:

Nancy

Excellent point, Nancy.
If you would like the experienced ceph-keepers on this site, like Colin and Nancy, to take the time to read your posts, offer their advice and answer your questions (on their own time, which I'm sure is full of other demands) then you might have the courtesy and respect for them to take the time to write in coherent English (so they don't have to spend extra time trying to decipher 'wut u r sayin').

:twocents:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back