Writing Posts:warning, this is a rant...

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by cthulhu77, Apr 26, 2005.

1. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Ok...I think I have had enough of reading posts that come off like they were written by a kindergardener...please, I am begging you, use punctuation and spell at least somewhat correctly...all of us make mistakes from time to time while typing, but this "tel me wat i cn du 2 kep a bemac n a 10 gln tank" is really getting to be too much.
    Dr. O'Shea commented once that it seemed that the post by a member had been written on his cellphone...beep beep...for a while it is ok...but trying to struggle through post after post of the same verbage is killing me.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings...but enough is enough.

greg

2. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

sorry Im just realy bad at spelling I try but realy I lack in grammer skills :oops: I usualy try not to take grammer short cuts

3. cthulhu77

I am not singling anyone out...especially you, Clownfish !!!! All of the people who post just need to remember that to get an answer, the question must be framed correctly!

greg

4. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Greg's got a point, it is easier for some of us to read old fashioned sentences with all the vowels. It's been a while since Steve or TTF put on the grammar teacher's cap - we were due!

Clownfish, don't go away discouraged, it's not only you.

Melissa

5. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Yep. :oops:

6. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

I'd have to agree with you, there are too many posts with internet slang and it makes it rather hard to read and understand. I'm no innocent either...

7. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

Hell, everyone goofs up with grammer sometimes...It's just that some poeple know that what he/she wrote has tons of spelling and grammer mistakes and doesn't bother...

8. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

ya I now

9. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

How about keeping on the thread topics while we're at it? :wink:

I understand. I swear I almost slapped the first person who wrote at me using Haxor out of spite, like I wouldn't figure that out. I can read about six or seven languages - substituing numbers for letters can't fool me.

Well, I think we could all be arrested by the grammar police at times. I think, however, that you do make a good point.

John

"I don't want to work
    I want to bang on the drum all day
    I don't want to play
    I just want to bang on the drum all day"

- Todd Rundgren

10. ant

ant Vampyroteuthis Registered

Haha i agree.

11. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Grammar confession...

I noticed I had used "their" for "there" in a post yesterday.

I am ashamed (and someone quoted it, so editing it can't erase my crime)...

:oops:

:cthulhu: forgive me...

12. cthulhu77

2nd round is on you at Tonmocon, then...

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

My main problems are that while my brain can spell and do grammer, my fingers can't PLUS the connections between the two are routed via outer siberia so someties there's a lag between the thought, the writing, spotting the problem and attempting to corect it......sea????

:roll:

J

PS I'm just a iggerant, socially maladapted marine biology student........what's Haxor???????? :oops:

14. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

I'm with Jean on this (not counting the marine biology student part - for which my dear mother will always hang her head in shame :wink:). Also, the keyboard on my Mac seems to want to input multiple letters when I'm only touching it once. For instance, I'll hiit the "t" once and then get "tttt". Hey, it just happened again with "hit" in the last sentence!

15. PurpleTentacle

PurpleTentacle GPO Supporter

I'm not sure, but it's probably a dialect of leet, aka l33t. A bunch of hackers and other computer geeks have sort of developed their own language where they susbtitute non-alphabetic characters and use other abreviations in English words. For instance, at Defcon last year (an annual hacker convention that takes place in Las Vegas) the team that won the capture the flag contest called themselves "sk33l of r00t" or "School of Root". Incidently, these happen to be a group of fella's at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterrey.

The name "leet" supposedly comes from the word "elite", it's a sort of pride kind of deal with them. But yeah, it's an annoying "language". Although, id10t$ makes a great temporary password. :wink:

Oh yeah, here's the wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

16. Snafflehound

Snafflehound GPO Registered

1t 1s b3tt3r 2B th3 h4mm3r th4n th3 4nv1l - Emily Dickinson

17. cthulhu77

I am sure she is rolling over quite well in her grave...

18. Jean

Ok then I could spell things badly and then call it a new language! errrrm maybe squiddish?

I only ask this cos on the draft of a paper I'm writing I spelled (sigh...... of course I mean spelt) my name wrong on the title page :oops: and it only has 4 letters :oops: again

J

19. TPOTH

TPOTH Vampyroteuthis Registered

Surely you mean "l33t" :wink:
    Sure does. anyhow l33t languague is old, a relic of ye olden days of telnet and other text-based interfaces (hardly a secret code... as any half-brain nitwit can decipher it... but i suppose that's the point, to make the half-brained feel "elite"). Seems normal it pops up so much in mobile phone lingo as people who weren't around the net the first time think they found something rather cool. They way technology is going, it's likely that all that will remain of txt-language will be a few acronyms (roflmao) and a handful of words (that might make it to the dictionnary if they prove resilient enough)... All in all, a bit a fun or, if taken seriously (i.e. 1 tlk nly txt, l33t m8!!1!) just a sign of a sad life :lol:

TPOTH

20. Jean

TPOTH that just put my brain cell into a spasm...........now my head hurts :shock: :cry: (sorry just being pathetic...it's lunchtime and we're out of :coffee: )

J