Wow, Giant Squid are Endangered Species? And Cannibals?

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by Bald Evil, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Bald Evil

Bald Evil Cuttlefish Registered

Here's an interesting, if factually spurious, news story out of New Zealand, starring Steve and Kat:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2679986a11,00.html

My favourite line: "The discovery that they seem to be turning on each other at such a pivotal point in the species' existence could be unsettling to squid lovers all over the world."

CAN I PANIC NOW?!?
    :bugout: :bugout: :bugout:

2. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

'Dr. Kat Bolstad'? Congratulations, Kat! Why no mention by name in the actual atricle? Disrespectful sonsof....

3. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Spurious?

Hmmmm. We speaketh naught but the truth down under ... we just put a spin on things. The 'cannibalism' release has actually been 'released' a number of times, but was never picked up (it's mentioned in the New Scientist article, and I recall somewhere on the BBC site also).

Must have been a quiet news day.

Kat's omission was a tad bad (it was in the release). Call it karma .... my Neil D poster remains MIA.

4. um...

Is she just being cruel, or is she trying to help you? I have oodles of respect for you, but this Neil Diamond thing? C'mon, Steve.

:shock:

Not suited to a man of your intellect. :wink:

5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Good coverage! Congrats Steve and Kat, keep up the good work under there...

6. Steve O'Shea

Ahhhh, but that's commercial nonsense - even I don't listen to that; it's the stuff they don't play on the radio - the man bares his soul to the world. Exposing one's vulnerability is an incredibly difficult thing to do.

Go find a quiet place, then listen to "I am I said", or "Be", and you tell me, honestly, whether it moved you or not.
    Cheers
    Me

7. Steve O'Shea

Ta T ... we're scheming away on other things right now.

8. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Not! ( I need an emoticon with fingers in it's ears!!)

Nah, according to Ron O'Dor Cannibalism is good!

J

9. Bald Evil

I didn't think the report of cannibalism was spurious; I was more referring to the characterization of the 'giant squid' (which appears to be referring to any squid bigger than a breadbox) as an endangered species. :P I was under the impression that we had to at least have a vague idea of how many of something there were before they could be considered endangered! :lol:

10. tonmo

11. Jean

I was of the understanding that it's not uncommon for squid to be cannibals! When ya gotta eat, ya gotta eat! over 20% of my samples had munched on school mates! Steve......comments?

J

12. tonmo

Jean:

To your point... There's a new news story on the front page of TONMO.com about fishermen who catch some Humbolt... they observed one stuck on a line, being attacked by its own brethren!

13. Jean

Yeah I've heard of that before, when talking to squid fishers, personally I think it's just that they're not fussy eaters, if it moves eat it!

J

14. Steve O'Shea

.... but giant squid eating each other ..... we do mention cannibalism, but we don't go anywhere near 'eating each other', as in pointy- to branching ends. Sigh. What have we started?

Off to hide.

15. Jean

Well Notototodarus do munch the lot! But then I think they're a lot more predatory in general than Archi My :twocents: worth!

BTW t'was in the new here yesterday too check out

www.telstraclear.co.nz/newsfeed/news_item.cfm?id=42799

J

16. Steve O'Shea

This is a point that is often raised when I start thumping my fist down on tables. Is it really necessary to know exactly how many, or a ballpark figure of how many there are before concern is raised about a species welfare?

We don't know where Architeuthis resides for most of its life; all we do know is that the adults and larvae occur in New Zealand waters. The same applies everywhere else (at least for the adults). So, we don't know much. However, what we do know is that the adults are mercilessly slaughtered in trawlers nets, whether they have or have not had an opportunity to mate and release egg masses.

We also know that the egg masses will be > than 2 metres in diameter, and that they will be spherical and probably float at a depth of ~ 30 metres.

We also know that the egg masses are extremely susceptable to damage, and that once damaged the individual eggs will become little more than fish fodder.

So, the adult squid are being caught while they're breeding; the egg masses of those animals that are not caught in nets stand an excellent chance of being hammered by the trawlers nets.

:alarm:

... and the outcome, common sense, is that the species is threatened. Just 'how threatened' it is I do not know - and I don't think it is important if it is threatened (whatever an index of 'threatened' may be) 99%, 90%, 75%, 50%, 10% or 5%. Exactly when do we start taking notice ... when the species is 50% 'threatened' or 95% 'threatened'. Do we sit back and see whether the number of animals caught in nets declines ... because if it does then it is already too late.

Thump your fists on the table now and scream ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
    ... sorry for my little tirade; I'm not picking on you bald evil (ooops, bald eagle), but numbers are not our friends; it doesn't matter whether there's 900,000 or 1000 Architeuthis left (and we'll never know) ... I've just seen too many 'common' species vanish, and people's complacency is the killer, because they all want a 'number' before they act.

I can promise you, 10 years from now all of those sandle-wearing, tree-hugging conservationists will be able to say "I told you so", but that's not what drives them - they would sooner say "I'm sorry, false alarm", but I simply do not see that happening.
    Cheers
    O

17. Bald Evil

I agree with Steve 100% (and I don't feel picked on, so don't be bothered about that. ;) ). It's better to sound the fire alarm early than wait until the flames are licking up the walls. The problem is, the masses of mankind are just too damn ignorant and inconsiderate of their planet to notice anything's amiss until the roof falls in (if then). Too many bloody humans on this planet...

But I still thought it was amusing to label a species the author doesn't seem to have any clue about 'endangered' based on one arm being found in one squid tummy. :) I guess that's why I'm evil. Don't worry, karma is punishing me for my morbid sense of humour by indefinitely suspending my own reproductive opportunities.

Ack... I just realized I'm endangered too... :goofysca:

18. um...

Here's another, much better, article (even though it's Kat-less, too :wink:):

Giant Squid Under Scrutiny

Amen.

19. Steve O'Shea

:shock: .... that's an old photo!! It is actually of the first specimen I ever received - dates back to 1996. In fact THAT IS THE VERY SQUID THAT DESTROYED MY LIFE!!!

20. um...

Yeah? It sure as hell ended up making everyone else's more interesting, though. :D