wound on head?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by fishgrrl, Oct 3, 2003.

1. fishgrrl

fishgrrl Larval Mass Registered

I just finished acclimating and placing my new bimac in the aquarium, and it was the first time I could get a good look at him. Unfortunately, he seems to have a wound on his head. The picture isn't very good; I didn't want to use the flash more than once.

Should I be concerned? Is it serious? Anything I can do? Would it of happened during shipping since there wasn't anything in the bag with him? Or before he was shipped?

2. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

I'm not sure what it is, but I have seen that on several octopuses in the LFS. Anyone got a clue? :?:

3. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Looks like "butt burn" They get it from crashing into tank walls. Usually if they're stressed and get startled. We've had it a few times and the octis do recover. But that patch never regrows the chromatophores and it stays white. Just be sure your water quality is tip top cos it is a route for bacterial infection.

J

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

I think that Jean is right although I have never seen it on an octo before just on cuttles. Perhaps it is a burn from a heater? But the crashing into something sharp sounds right

5. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Sometimes I see that wound just between the eyes and the arms. Would it be possible to get butt burn there? :?

6. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Theoretically yes, butt burn is where the skin has scraped off. It's very delicate and can abrade really easily.

J