Would you come to TONMOcon at Monterey, Aug. 5-7, 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,

Personally I believe in using whatever resources are available if the cause is just, but this will ultimately be your call. I'd like :twisted: to be able to attend the event. Maybe we can finally find out what happened to your ND article!

:cthulhu:

I don't see any problem with auctioning off something to benefit Kat...and seriously, do you really think Um is going to miss this????
Bring your Neil gloves Dr.SOS !!!!
greg

Squidman, yes, of course you'd be welcome and you wouldn't hinder the adults. If you go to the kids sleepover at the aquarium, we'll spend the whole next day pestering you for details...

Steve, your question is a doozy. Universities and research institutes buy specimens, so they must need suppliers. Would it be better to be entirely transparent and say that this is to benefit students who are presenting their work? Kat, I do hope you'll come tell us all about your own work.

Nancy's right to think about future locations, but for now, I'm not thinking any further than August 8!

Melissa

Why not auction off a lock of her hair? I'm sure some nutter out there would offer a reasonable sum for that. Or maybe some fingernail clippings?

Well, I'm gonna have to agree with squidman on this one... as fun as bar hopping and wine tasing sounds, a 17 year old will usually only go for the conferences. I'm totally wanting to go... and my parents have even said that Monteray might not be a bad vacation spot. Vancouver --> Monteray isn't THAT bad a road trip... except maybe with your folks :lol:

Anyway, as I am unexperienced with conferences I must ask... will there be a large entrance cost? Anyway I hope theres a definite answer to TONMOcons existence soon! :mrgreen:

I make a lot of noise about bar hopping, but trust me, I will be spending every waking moment yapping about octos with allyall...drinks I can have anytime !
The cost will be very minimal...don't sweat that at all !! This is going to be one of the highlights of the year, for sure!
greg

Steve O'Shea said:
I really am looking forward to this - particularly a :wine: and handshake with many, and a :yelling: at Greg!

I'm thinking of placing an Architeuthis tentacle club on ebay to raise funds to get Kat over too. Who thinks that this is a good idea (seriously; I mean ... I've never done anything like this, and feel bad about it ... selling something to benefit science/a community). If I did do this it wouldn't be transparent at all - you would know who did it, and I would identify myself as selling it 'for science/research advancement' purposes. It's a tough one. Your counsel appreciated.

Where's that Regal-footed Right-Honourable Sir Dr Ummmm..... stand in all of this? Surely if we can make it over from NZ then this chappy can make it from Canada!

What's to fret about??? Capitalism isn't all bad, just the people who use it to take advantage of others, which those kind of people are going to do anyway. Money is just a tool, and any tool can be used to do harm in a fashion that is was not created for. Sell it.

Sorry I won't be able to attend, I got a performance on Aug 9th for our "national day" and theres no way my parents are gonna let me go alone. Hopefully I'll be at future ones :smile:

GPO87 said:
Well, I'm gonna have to agree with squidman on this one... as fun as bar hopping and wine tasing sounds, a 17 year old will usually only go for the conferences. I'm totally wanting to go... and my parents have even said that Monteray might not be a bad vacation spot. Vancouver --> Monteray isn't THAT bad a road trip... except maybe with your folks :lol:

Anyway, as I am unexperienced with conferences I must ask... will there be a large entrance cost? Anyway I hope theres a definite answer to TONMOcons existence soon! :mrgreen:

You make me mad. I lived there for 4 and a half years and now TONMOCON is there Monteray. Man, I used to live in Vancouver, Richmond with all my pals. Now I'm stuck in HK. Asia TONMOCON next anyone? :cry: WAA!! I WANT MY MONEY so I can get there. I mean, SQUIDMAN's my age, GPO87 is cool. Man, I'm supposed to be in the thick of everything, not in some odd Chinese city. :cry:

My wife and I would love to attend. Those dates sound great as well. Its a 9 hour drive from Arcata, but who cares? I can recommend some nice places to stay as well, depending on your price ranges and what amenities you want. Just PM me if you want some info.

Steve? You really would attend?

John

I mean, SQUIDMAN's my age, GPO87 is cool.

Ok, I agree with chrono, he's such a devoted member of this site, and I think Steve needs to meet the face of his tormentor! :lol: There should be a Tonmocon Asia... just for him. (I'm actually agreeing cause I got a compliment from Chrono... I'm cool! :mrgreen: )

Seriously though, if this goes well, you amazing people who put this together (and you are amazing) might think of expanding to another location. It's a great idea (i don't know who brought it up first.) Anyway, I guess I should still push for the one here in the states!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back