Would this be Architeuthis?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I recently came accross this intriguing image by Pablo Aspas, I could not find the original source publication, but it shows a pilot whale breaching, following a deep dive for food. The tentacle it's still trying to swallow reminds me an awful lot of A. dux.

If I am not mistaken, A. dux beaks have been found in pilot whale stomachs, alas not of the beached variety as the depressing ulcerous results from down under can attest.

Owing from the size of the tentacle club, it could be an Architeuthis, but more likely just another Really Huge Squid. Taningia danae?

I can't tell which species of pilot whale that is, but pilot whales are cosmopolitan and are capable of diving to 600 meters, though they don't dive deeper than 60 meters most of the time.

Upvote 0
Could also be a large ommastrephid, depending on location. Todarodes gets biggish and has rather large clubs for its size (although short tentacles overall), and of course there's Dosidicus.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back