Wonderful site

Casey cason

Hatchling
Registered
thanks for all the work you that has been put into this site I am awaiting the arrival of my first child and he has sparked an everything octo theme I have bought everything baby I could find octopus and have thought about one as a future pet I have some time so I am reading all this wonderful info in hopes of one day having an octo pet

:cuttlehi: Casey! Kids are grown and grand kids have outgrown the fun stuff but I still have a great niece and a couple of great nephews young enough for me to get away with shopping baby octo :tentacle2:

:cuttlehi: Casey! Kids are grown and grand kids have outgrown the fun stuff but I still have a great niece and a couple of great nephews young enough for me to get away with shopping baby octo :tentacle2:
I actually live in talmo ga and work in gainesville I didn't figure we would have any body from that area that's awesome you live in the area I know who I will be getting my help from

Casey, I will let you know when I have a resident animal again so you can stop by on your way home one night to check it out. If you will pm me where you work, I will try to poke my head in and say hi when I am out and about (usually on Wednesdays).

So I'm sitting here at the hospital waiting on my little one to be born ( wife is sleeping right now ) and I am reading so much information The first thing that has stuck out to me is this and forgive me I am so green in the world of Cephs (live rock ) and tank cycling Do you always want to have all live rock in place before cycling or can you add as you go is it best to buy it or can you make it would having a separate tank you transfer from one tank to the other safely ? if you have a backup tank would it be ok In case of filter/ live rock failure maybe have a main tank as a mature ceph tank and a younger tank to grow live rock with some fish in it for emergency ( fish may become food ) An ounce of prevention is worth a lb of cure when I do set up my tank I want to be very perpared even if it is overkill no I am not made of money but I am patient and I want a healthy place for my octo to thrive because if he is happy he will share that happiness with my family

All the stickied (yellow) threads are worth reading in the octopus care section. In the group is a list of links to discussions I have saved to recommend to new/future octopus keepers. There is one discussion about tank cycling included. We also have a Tank Talk forum to start you thinking about how to design a tank set up. The Cycling a Cephalopod Tank entry has three excellent links to articles to help beginners learn about the cycling process.

As you are starting to grasp, keeping any kind of marine animal involves a whole lot more than just learning proper feeding. You have to learn about a whole environment, how to create it and how to maintain it. Typically, a marine environment will have 3 forms of filtration, mechanical, chemical and biological. The biological being the most important but the other two cannot be neglected. Rockwork provides the substrate for your biological filtration to grow. Live rock initializes the process by including the initial bacteria culture as well as initial food for the bacteria. Cycling the tank grows the bacteria through a process of ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion. The bacteria makes this process happen so rapidly that you should never see the first two deadly components. Nitrate, the third and final part of the process is removed through water changes, exchanging new saltwater for tank water every week. These water changes are a necessity as they also take out other pollutants. In answer to your question, you should not put animals in your tank until all of your live rock is fully cycled but you can slowly add new live rock to a cycling tank (one without sensitive animals).

I keep two 60+ gallon tanks octo ready but most keepers only keep one. Often both are occupied so the "backup" concept is only good part of the time. I do have a smaller tank that I could use in an emergency and that I use for small animals and usually don't have all three occupied :wink:. If you want to keep fish or corals, I would recommend keeping them in their own dedicated tanks (corals and fish can be mixed to create stunning displays but it is a long, slow expensive road to creating a mini-reef). I am a strong opponent of keeping any fish in an octo tank. Fish are not the best food for octopuses, can attack them and will pester them.

Sumps can be useful for keeping extra cycled live rock but the primary purpose is to have a separate place for your mechanical (skimmer and pumps) and chemical (usually charcoal) filtration and increase the water volume for the display tank. If you keep live food available, it can be kept in the sump but it will be hard to retrieve and adds to the pollution load. Some people will add lighting and macro algae to create a refugium environment to add to the live rock biological filtration.

What will your son's name be?

Wylie lavon Cason after my wife's grandfather (Wylie ) and lavon after my great/grandfathers' and my dads and my middle name he has been a blessing we were told we had less than a 1% chance to have children yet it shows that anything is possible with patience hard work and prayers he should be here tommorrow me and him we got big octo plans

This has been a wonderful experience My little came and was 10lbs with red hair and has been a trooper sadly he had to go to the nicu but is doing well I got a few pics in at hospital so far

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    826.3 KB · Views: 99

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back