Will this wet/dry filter work? How does it look?

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by AlanR917, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AlanR917

AlanR917 Blue Ring Registered

Hey guys, I recently finished building my wet/dry filtration system, and I was wondering if there was anything I could improve on, or if this will work the way it is? Thank you.

The first chamber on top holds the bioballs, then the water drips down into the skimmer chamber, and flows over the wall into the pump chamber where it is pushed back up into the main tank.

Attached Files:

2. gpx1200

gpx1200 GPO Registered

the water is suposed to drip onto the bioballs not from them thats what makes it a wet/dry filter.
    it looks like the water level in the skimmer chamber will be to high, with most insump skimers the water level should not be higher than the skimmers outlet hole.
    personaly i'd flip the sump around, install a filter sock into what is now the pump chamber and fill the rest of it with live rock and macro algie(plants)and add a light making it the refugum then let the water drain into the skimmer chamber and add a smaller pair of over/under walls to make a bubble trap(look it up you need one) and put the pump chamber at the other end but first find out the proper depth your skimmer shuld run at and size the last wall to keep the skimmer chamber at the proper depth.

3. AlanR917

AlanR917 Blue Ring Registered

The skimmer requires al least 9" of water, we have 10. The water drips onto the bioballs from the overflow plumbing, and then drips down from them into the chamber with the skimmer in it. Sorry if the picture wasn't clear.

4. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

If the power supply is turned off, is there enough room in the sump to hold the remaining water that will flow from the main tank. I too would put the skimmer in the small section of the sump and test the running depth of the skimmer and return pump. Also the skimmer bubbles will then have to run over the dividing weir allowing more time for the bubbles to break before reaching the pump at the other end.

5. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Bubbles in the sump might be an issue, causing the pump to suck air and create micro bubbles in the tank.