• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Will this skimmer work?

Alan,
If you don't see a post soon from Joe-Ceph you might try to PM him as he is fond of this filtration style and does an excellent job of writing up instructions.

I can't help on the skimmer. It is extremely inexpensive and that usually doe not bode well but not having tried this one. I have tried a number of very inexpensive skimmer and one not so inexpensive that were junk. For a low end model (all I own), I stick with the Coralife brand.

Alan I would not use that skimmer. Dwhatley likes the coralife brand and I second this. the thing that makes this a better skimmer is they are a needle wheel skimmer. to know if it is a needle wheel skimmer look for the air inlet tub to be on the intake side of the pump. the one your looking at is on the output side so it is a venturi typ. they do work but not nearly as good as a needle wheel. do a google search on both types and it will explane better.

I sent Joe a message. Which Coralife skimmer do you guys use for your wet dry filters? Any model numbers you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

I don't use the wet/dry method, and I why I hope Joe-Ceph (screen name only so Joe doesn't work :wink:) will note the email. There are likely others that use this method but I can't point to one. For my own tanks, I use live rock and a sock filter filled with carbon at the entrance of the sump, then skim the sump water. I do constantly fight nitrates with this set-up (systems are 4+ year old).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back