• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Will this set up work?

Octo set up, will this plan work?

I recently read an article in an old fish mag. that was on octopi. It said that they are eaiser to care for than most people belive and that all you really need is a carbon outside filter and a u.g. filter.

Based on this info, this is my plan.

I am going to set up a 20gal long tank with a u.g. filter (attached to the bottom of the tank and all parts sealed togather) with a power head to run it. A millium 2000 back filter, crushed coral for the substrate, and pvc pipe for hiding places. I was going to cycle the tank with shrimp for about a month, and then put in a star fish and some mollies. Wait another month and if everything is still in tip top shape I am going to order an octopus. I will try to get a Bimac, but it seems to me that they are hard to get. Any way, do you think this set up would work? People have been telling my you have to have a skimmer, but I do not see why if you do weekly water changes (something I already do on my reef tank). Any way, let me know what you think. Jacob.

One more question...

I went to the Birch aqurium in San Deigo and had a behind the sceans tour. On their ocoto tank they left it open and put a large piece of wood all around the tank. They then covered it with that green indoor out door carpet to keep the octo in. They said that they could not stand the feeling of the carpet. Has any one used this method at home? Does it work for all species? Thanks again, Jacob.

Now that is fascinating. I have all of my tanks open -topped, except for the ceph tank...if this is true, I would be converting in a heartbeat!
Please tell me this works! If it doesn't, I am going to have an angry wife and a dead octo! :yinyang:

it works to an extent but you need certain factors to consider...

if its a small octo it may still be able to climb on the astroturf and if its a big octo it may be able to reach over the top...

If its for a bimac which is less prone to climing then im sure it would be okay but some experimenting would need to be done for a different species...

definitely worth more research...

The NRCC use something similar for their vulgaris tank

Re: Will this set up work?

Hi welcome to tonmo.com
poisonfrog420 said:
Octo set up, will this plan work?

I recently read an article in an old fish mag. that was on octopi. It said that they are eaiser to care for than most people belive and that all you really need is a carbon outside filter and a u.g. filter.

Yes they can be easy to care for but you need to pay attention to certain key issues, have a read at the equipment list on tonmo.com for a good start. What you have suggested is quite a bare minimum tank and although may be suitable for a dwarf species is no good for a bimac. The tank is too small and the filtration is under powered. Some places may use this system like in lab but they will perform large daily waterchanges... your costs would soon build up with that :frown:
Based on this info, this is my plan.

I am going to set up a 20gal long tank with a u.g. filter (attached to the bottom of the tank and all parts sealed togather) with a power head to run it. A millium 2000 back filter, crushed coral for the substrate, and pvc pipe for hiding places. I was going to cycle the tank with shrimp for about a month, and then put in a star fish and some mollies. Wait another month and if everything is still in tip top shape I am going to order an octopus. I will try to get a Bimac, but it seems to me that they are hard to get. Any way, do you think this set up would work? People have been telling my you have to have a skimmer, but I do not see why if you do weekly water changes (something I already do on my reef tank). Any way, let me know what you think. Jacob.

To give yourself ans the octopus the best possible start and to keep it full term your going to have to go to a 30 or bigger tank.. I recomend 30 as a bare minimum.

A skimmer is a 'get out of jail free card' it is a life line, they are messy animals much more so than fish and also if it inks in the water the skimmer removes it quickly! I have heard of and experienced situations that would have been a LOT worse without a skimmer!

If anything they keep the water well oxygenated for those 3 hearts!

have a read at back posts for more info on bimacs as many people have them here and you can get them via this site by clicking on the link for fishsupply.com and looking under invertebrates. You MUST specify a bimac though! :smile:

Anything else please ask but remember there is a lot of good info in back posts :smile:

Cheers Colin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back