Wild Wunderpus photogenicus and Octopus cyanea employ asphyxiating ‘constricting’ in interactions wi

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by DWhatley, Jul 15, 2014.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Wild Wunderpus photogenicus and Octopus cyanea employ asphyxiating ‘constricting’ in interactions with other octopuses
    Christine L. Huffard (@mucktopus), Mike Bartick 2014 (subscription)

Mucktopus has mentioned and provided TONMO with prior images of a female cyanea enveloping and consuming a male. I suspect this became part of the information in this paper.

2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

interesting... in the thread you reference, @mucktopus states it was "killed first" then consumed / eaten... Crissy do you recall HOW it was killed?

3. DWhatley

Tony, If I am not mistaken, the abstract is describing that exact incident. I am hoping @mucktopus can give us the whole article or at least send to to my dropbox :grin:

4. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

The female first held the male's funnel closed preventing him from exhaling (and inhaling), and then wrapped her arm around his mantle opening, preventing inhaling. This strangled ("constricted") the male, he turned white/stopped moving, and then she pulled him to her, under the web and carried him off to what we presume was her den. I can try to put together a quick page with other images from the sequence to show what happened.

Here's an awesome video I came across on Youtube showing what happens when two octopuses (also O. cyanea) are each within constricting reach of each others' mantle (especially from 1:30 on): AMAZING behavior.

Tony and D- I've sent you the paper. If anyone else would like it, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a pdf reprint. I'm not able to post here though (copyright issues)...soon hope to get around to posting the accepted manuscript...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    DWhatley likes this.
  5. DWhatley

THANKS for the pdf @mucktopus I have not had time to read it but will before the weekend is over.

Amazing video. I am glad you asked for a conclusion.

Nick Hope also posted a clip from his Andaman series with two cyanea fighting or having a territorial dispute but the short clip shows more of an attempt to bring the smaller animal under the webbing than the strangulation technique (there is a quick view of an arm out stretched that may suggest the intent to strangle though).

http://www.tonmo.com/community/threads/are-these-octopus-cyanea-fighting-or-courting.14587/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014