• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wild Caught Octopus

I'm starting this thread because every year I take several weekend trips to the Texas coast. Every time I make attempts to catch an octopus but with no success. I was wondering if anyone knows of any traps, methods, or places where I could use or go to increase my chances.

Your problem is that most of them are not near the shore. I talked with the NRCC people about this a lot, because I too would have liked a Texas octopus.

Did you actually see one in the Port Arthur area? You could place some pots around and try that method, but it would require a couple of trips.

I've heard that they're found at the Flower Garden Reef, 80 miles out. A book about the reef by a diver came out a few years ago and you might check it out. I talked with the author and he said they saw an octopus once in a while. Some diving trips are available for this location, or at least used to be.

You might start interviewing fishermen to see what they know! Do they ever catch them? Are they ever brought up with crab traps? The Texas coast has an abundant supply of crabs, so there's food for them.

Nancy

I always go to Port A.(Aransas), Corpus, and Rockport. I went to Indian Point Park a few timesam as well and I've both seen and or caught just about everything you can think of except cephs. I'm not sure if the fishermen get octopus but I know they squid. On one of my last trips one of my friends said they saw an octopus but I didn't. I know they are down there because I've found proof of people catching them. What kind of trap should I use to catch them?

I learned how to catch octopus in California by doing what you are doing, looking online for people who know how and are willing to teach me. If you strike out on Tonmo, find sites that attract fishermen from the Texas gulf coast, search their archives for "octopus" and post questions about how/where to find them. If that doesn't work, call bait shops in the coastal areas. Somebody knows where they are.

My problem is I know where they are. I just can't catch them. I was trying to catch them the way I did in Japan (I would free dive and catch them by hand) but water conditions didn't permit me to do so. So this next time I was thinking of setting traps the next time I go. I'm just looking for those who have experience catching them with traps will chime in with some tips of what traps to use, bait, et cetra. I did try the bait shop route last time I was down there but I kept getting the same we don't carry live octpus responses.

I know it can be done. A guy from my reef club said he caught 3. I think he was just fishing though. Of course we would rather catch them with out the hook. I would love to be able to have a local caught octopus.

The University of Texas has a "marine science institute" research facility in Port Aransas. I used to work at UCSB, which has a similar research facility, and they employed two full time divers to collect animals for the researchers. It's very likely that The MSI in Port Aransas has one or two full time staff divers who know where, how, and when, to collect a local octopus (or anything else). If you can find out how to contact them, and convince them that your purposes are legit, and not likely to damage the environment, then they might tell you how to go about catching an octopus.

I was able to find this list of people and emails

In my experience, people like these are all about protecting natural resources, and university employees generally don't like to do things that might get them in trouble, or make them look bad, so you'll probably need to overcome that hurdle before they tell you anything. If going there in person is possible, it will probably help. Maybe a Tonmo member who is associated with a marine research program can email them on your behalf? They're more likely to feel good about talking to insiders than the "general public".

Here's a list of MSI staff. Click on their name to see their title.

Thanks a lot for that info joe-ceph. I knew about the intuite. I pass it every time I go to Port A. I'll contact them and see what they say. As for all of you wanting local Texas caught octopus I'd be more than willing to collect more for anyone willing to do local pickup. Oh and I refuse to use a hook and l line to catch my animals. What are the best types live traps to use to catch them that won't hurt them?

The classic "trap" is just a clay pot laid on the sand flats. In a place where good dens are scarce. The octopus finds it, stays inside, and stays inside while it's being hauled up. The ones I've seen pictures of had an opening that was a little smaller than the diameter of the inside space, which was sort of egg shaped
japanese+octopus+trap+4.jpg

In the mediteranian they aren't baited, but in japan they put a little crab inside. An advantage of this kind of trap is that if you don't check it for a while (or ever), the octopus can just leave, and not be trapped and die. I read about a modern version of this trap being made out of corrugated plastic drainage pipe with a concrete plug at one end (cheap, easy, and weighted). I would guess that the best time to pull it up would be dependent on when the species is the least active. The traps are all on a single long line, spaced apart (15'?), and pulled up onto a boat all at once. I wonder if small traps would catch small (young) octopus, or if the young ones don't venture onto the sand flats, but stay near cover where its' safer. Be sure to let us know what you learn, whatever you try.

You'll also want to check the fishing laws where you are. In California only hook and line, or "with the hands" are legal methods of take - so no traps here, even passive ones.

Traps are ok in Texas as far as I know. People use them all the time. My plan is to set a trap that the octopus can't escape from. I was going to arrive late in the evening around midnight or later, set a few traps, and check them in the morning. I would do this again the following night if the first trap were unsuccessful. I don't know if I should use a classic crab trap or if I would need something else. I plan to bait them as well.

Well the main species that I know is most common in that area is O. Vulgaris and since I have a 250 gallon aquarium that's just fine. But I'm looking for any and all species I can find. I want to compile a complete list of all species found in that area.

Yes I do, but I'm talking about long term. I got the briareus because I was unable to catch another octopus in Port A. I will once again resume my search when Nereus passes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back