• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Wild caught eggs

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hey guys,

I may be able to get some wild caught S. bandensis eggs this week. They will price out somewhere between 5-8 dollars each, plus box charges ($10) and actual shipping.
I would like to send these to people who are willing to take groups with the idea of breeding in the future (I would send eggs from different clutches). I would aim to ship next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Please email [email protected] if you are interested. Hopefully this will work out and everyone will be happy!

Righty,

You seem to be quite a conduit of bandensis lately. Is this luck and coincidence or do you envision being able to import eggs on and off from here on out?

I'm curious because I would like to try some out in my 75 at some point, but it would be at least a year until I'd be in the market.

Dan

I am getting them when I can for people who want groups, then selling the extras.

I imagine I will be able to get more in the future, but I hope that there will be enough people in the states breeding them by then!

Righty said:
I imagine I will be able to get more in the future, but I hope that there will be enough people in the states breeding them by then!

So this is perhaps the dawn of a new era--an era of a stable supply of a captive bred cuttlefish that the studious American hobbyist can keep in a reasonable sized tank!

I hope octopets is getting in on the ground floor with this. With all the people that post here and on reef central looking for bandensis it might be lucrative.

Dan

If we can get 5-10 people who can breed them, we should be able to cover the current demand in the US (Octopets can expand that!). Hopefully, we have the breeding thing figured out this time!

Octopets has some already, they are getting some of what I have now as well. :smile:

I would be surprised if the demand didn't increase quite a bit once the supply exists and word-of-mouth spreads through the internet. Getting a bimac is really a $1000 investment because it has to have its own big tank. At any given time there are tons of people out there with a 30-50gallon tanks, maybe with some mushrooms or something, but "between" fish. FOWLR people who want something new. I can imagine cuttlefish in fish shops around the country in a few years.

Dan

I tried to send an email but i cant...a few questions...

how long till you expect them to hatch?
how many clutches did you get?
what kind of success rate have you had getting them to hatch?
do you think it would be too stressful to ship to 28104.. near charlotte NC ?
i have 4 tanks ready, and they could even be divided..fairly populated with mysids and gammarus..would it be wise to get more than 4? (being my first attempt) ...i've been keeping reefs for years and always wanted a cuttlefish..

thanx shaun [email protected]

Sorry about the email, what was the problem?

This article should answer most of your questions.

Keeping and Breeding the dwarf cuttlefish Sepia bandensis

I cannot guarantee live arrival, but I haven't had many problems shipping. Some of them are hatching right now. I would prefer, and will give precedence to, people who are interested in breeding.

Feeding the babies is going to be your challenge! :biggrin2:

DHyslop said:
I would be surprised if the demand didn't increase quite a bit once the supply exists and word-of-mouth spreads through the internet. Getting a bimac is really a $1000 investment because it has to have its own big tank. At any given time there are tons of people out there with a 30-50gallon tanks, maybe with some mushrooms or something, but "between" fish. FOWLR people who want something new. I can imagine cuttlefish in fish shops around the country in a few years.

Dan

:biggrin2:

i would surely be attempting to breed them,although i am not a scientist with extensive lab...but i have a decent fishroom, and have been farming corals for a year or so...but i dont mind procrastinating, as i wish to learn all i can to keep them healthy...if you "need" to move them, i would surely love to acquire some..if not im a patient man... thanx again.....shaun

I'm happy to send them to you Shaun! :biggrin2: I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

I think more than 4 would be better.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back