• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

why do octo's need 55 gallons?

ok i went to te saltwater fish store today and the guy said its almost impossible to keep octopus in there tanks,is that true??????? im kind of worried that i'll spend 1,000 bucks on the tank,filter,etc,and wont be able to keep them in there tanks:sink:

There are plenty of people on this website who have successfully kept octopus in their tanks. Also, there are many public aquariums who have also had octopus. Octopus are curious animals and have been known to escape from their tanks, but it is possible to octo-proof your aquarium.

The store probably doesn't know how to take proper care of the octopuses they receive. Or their supplier is bad at shipping them and they only last a couple days due to stress. It can also be the method they are caught in. Octopuses are just as easy to take care of as a reef, you just may need more filteration because of the large bioload. There are drawbacks and advantages to both but I think maintaining an octopus aquarium requires less attention than a reef, though you might pay more attention to it!

Octopuses are very difficult to care for, and the vast majority of people who've tried have failed. Most LFS staff are unaware that there is a community of people who've had somewhat better luck.

-at least a 20 gal tank
-at least 20lbs. of live rock (has been in tank for at least 3 months)
-live sand that has also been in the tank for at least 3 months
-cover to keep octo in
-a lot of red lights since dwarfs are nocturnal (so you can watch it at night)
-food (most people use fiddler crabs)
-skimmer (don't skimp on this, it's pretty important)
-power head for good flow (make sure intakes are covered well)
-duct tape (just in case since it is very useful)
Thats all i can think of for now, though i'm sure i left something out..

Nemo,
If you are serious about keeping a Mercatoris, you might read through my journals about my original mother, her offspring and my new babies ( [Octopus Eggs]: - Trapper's Babies - Tank Raised Mercatoris). Simple has a good list but the Mercs really don't need duct tape or heavily sealed tanks. You DO need to lower the water about 2 inches and provide a cover but this should suffice for escape security. I have found that the inexpensive "skelter" filter/skimmer ($35 )works just fine for the smaller tank IF you replace the filteration and water weekly, add a bag of charcoal to the filter compartment and add an air stone to the skimmer chamber (I also use Poly-Filter instead of the standard filtration made for the unit).

Mine will only eat occassional fiddlers (and some of them won't eat them at all) so I feed them FROZEN Cyclop-eeze nightly as well as hand fed shore shrimp (they don't catch them well on their own). If you set up a 10:00 PM regular feeding schedule you should be able to interact with your night time creatures on a regular basis (I have one that resists this schedule but the other 4 now "see me coming" and come out nightly to be fed). You might be able to force this to an earlier time IF you make the room dark earlier, every night.

If my babies survive (and they are looking healthy) I will have some tank bred available about the time you have your tank ready - 3 months minimum, no short-cuts) if you start now.

wow thanks so much,is it really hard to raise baby octopi???that would be such an awesome expierience:bugout::notworth:and about the babys being ready in about three-four months thats AwEsOmE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back