who should i take ?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by bläckis, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bläckis

bläckis O. vulgaris Registered

hey all im david the guy from sweden if you dont remember :)
    i have read:read: alot here on tonmo and many other places about how to keep an octopus. But i still dont really know witch octopus i want, it is three of them i really like the bimac, o.vulgaris and octopus cyanea. And i want a day octopus beacuse i think its better in that way you will see the octopus more and i know the cyanea is a day octopus but i have heard that it gets really really big, now to my question witch of those do you guys recommend ? and how big aqvarium should i have for it,

2. bläckis

no one can help me ?

3. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Few people here have experience with vulgaris or cyanea, as they both require such large tanks people avoid them. It's very hard to get bimacs at all at the moment, so it seems very unlikely you'd be able to get one in Sweden, but of those 3 choices, a bimac is probably your best bet, unless you have room and money for a very large tank. Pragmatically, unless availability in your area is a lot different than here, you're more likely to find aculeatus as an import, and maybe briareus or hummelincki as imports from the U.S., all of which make good pets and are probably worth considering.

4. bläckis

okej thanks for your advice, and yes bimac would be cool but i think its hard to get one in here in sweden like you said, but i have talked with my lfs and they say that they can import octopus eggs that may be a better choice? what do you think monty ?
    but that is probably more difficult than if i buy an allready adult.

5. monty

I've never heard of octo eggs being sold separately, but it's quite hard to raise large-egged octos, and almost impossible for small-egged ones, so I'd recommend getting an adult (or even better a juvenile) octo rather than eggs.

6. bläckis

okey .. but is the briareus or hummelincki day active ?

7. monty

Yup, briareus, hummelincki, and aculeatus all seem to be interactive with their owners during the day, much more so than most of the dwarf species.

8. bläckis

okey sounds good can you link me some information about those spices? i did not found so mutch on google :/

9. bläckis

how long is the lifespan of those two ?

10. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

There is not much written material to be found on-line yet (or maybe at all) so life span is not well determined. If you will look through the TONMO journals, you will find the experiences of members with these animals. Many of the titles have the species name listed.

11. bläckis

okej thanks for the information dwhatley.

12. bläckis

sorry but i cant found the journals ? :S were should i look ?

13. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

You were in the right place: http://www.tonmo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

These are not official documents but the journals of TONMO members keeping the species that interest you. Look for the octopus species in the title to find what others have experienced with their pets.

14. bläckis

okey thank you for the help once agian

15. bläckis

can i use a 180 litres tank ? here in sweden we say liters and not gallon, but i dont know how many gallon 180 litres are .. ..

16. bläckis

anyway i am also interested in cuttlefihses they seem to be a good choice for a begginer with octopuses like me heh he. But i like the aculeatus very mutch to so i dont really know withc to choose, but if i going to get a cuttle then i want a sepia offcinalis i have heard they live longer then the bandensis am i corect ? but it seems that not so many here on the forum have any experience of them i have looked in the journals but cant find any info of them :/ it seems they have more experience of the sepia bandensis

17. monty

if you type

180 litres in gallons

into google, it tells you

180 litres = 47.5509694 US gallons

which is probably OK for 1 or 2 bandensis, or hummelincki or perhaps aculeatus, but is far too small for the vulgaris you were considering, and a bit smaller than we recommend (55-75gal) for bimacs and briareus.

18. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

S. officinalis needs a big, big tank, and a chiller. We don't see them here in the states, at least for several years. Seems Thales and Paradox have managed to keep some S. bandensis for well over a year.

Go with S. bandensis or the A. aculeatus.

19. bläckis

okey i will go for the aculeatus i will ask my lfs if they can shipp them to me but i need to set up my tank first for it right now i have corals and fishes int it, do i need to take away the soft corals or can i have them with the octo ? and it would be nice if you guys can tell me witch equipment i need for thise spicement :smile:

20. bläckis

i asked my lfs if they could shipp the bandensis and they said that it would not be a problem but once agian they say that it wolud be better if i get bandensis eggs so what do you guys think about that ? my lfs also said that the only problem is just to get live crabs for the little ones