Who are we?

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I have several octopus that were collected from the Pacific coast of Panama. I think I have identified only one for sure. Anyone have an idea on what they are?

Roy

Attachments

• conv_305199.jpg
    conv_305199.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_305200.jpg
    conv_305200.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
  • conv_305201.jpg
    conv_305201.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
I am pretty sure this is not bimaculoides but wonder about bimaculus. O. bimaculoides shows definite orange around the suckers where these show the more typical blue/purple of O. hummelincki. I have not seen definitive photos of O. maya but both are on the other side of the canal. The eye spot on the bottom one does not show the yellow/orange center and is not completely round but I have seen in O. hummelincki but I have seen the eyespot show differently or not at all. Are there any definitive photos of O. bimaculatus to examine? I know they are not supposed to be visually distinguishable but the open part of the eye spot brings to mind some of the descriptions and I have not seen other references to the sucker tips to know if they may be different but not often reported.

O. hummelincki from the Caribbean (I have seen enough differences to wonder about at least 2 different animals here) can show those yellow "pimples" around the eyespot in a similar pattern around the eyespot (last picture).

They can also show that craggy look (as can O. bimaculoides):

However, given the location, the eyespot, and sharpenss of patterns, I would look for a match on O. bimaculatus if the rings around the suckers can be blue vs orange.

Attachments

• conv_299899.jpg
    conv_299899.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_299898.jpg
    conv_299898.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • conv_299897.jpg
    conv_299897.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
I did a little research and came up with a suggestion for the first two as well. I believe they are O. oculifer. Orginially not found along the coast of Panama, however, I did find a source that said their range has extended to that area... (once again, if someone would like to confirm, that would be awesome).

My best guess for #3 was O. bimaculatus. It is an ocellate with the right proportions.

As for the first one, I though O. culifer was an ocellate as well. No sign of an ocellus in this beast - although it does remind me of hummelincki.

ROy

Hhhmm, yes, it is an ocellate, however all the pictures I've seen of it (not many thanks to google images) do not appear to have a promanent ocellus. The blurb I read said that the ocellus resembles a dark patch of pigment... which unfortunately is a ridiculously vague description. Oh well, it was worth a guess! haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back