White-V Octopus?

Recorded in the Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.

Is this a "white-V octopus", Abdopus sp., or another species? Unfortunately I didn't get any video of the end of the mantle where the white marking would be.

Also, is the white-V octopus generally accepted to be in the Abdopus genus (as opposed to Octopus genus etc.)?

Full screen, 720p HD may help!

Nice video. It's hard to tell fur sure without seeing the full mantle, but this could be white V or one known as the "brown mimic". White V is closely related to the mimic and Wunderpus, not in the genus Abdopus.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the info.. The 2010 Tropical Pacific Reef Creature Identification by Humann & DeLoach has the white V down as Abdopus sp., so it's interesting to get a different view. I guess it's impossible to say until it's properly described.

Upvote 0
I don't know why it ended up being listed as that. We've done the moluecular work on it, so know it's not in Abdopus. White V lies in solidly with the mimic, Wunderpus, and the Hawaii Long Armed Sand octopus (also undescribed).

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back