• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

White spots on live rock - a bad sign?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I noticed my live rock has some white spots on it while cycling my tank, and I cannot for the life of me remember if they were there to begin with.

I've started water changes from tap water, and everything else I've been doing correctly. Are these white spots indicative of something wrong in the water? All my tests come back with appropriate ph levels and testing negative for various substances.

Taken on the 6th April:

lGsXq7a.jpg

P2cuKqb.jpg

Taken today:

BLMDq6C.jpg

ZzapLTW.jpg

I would appreciate any input. Just being cautious as I get closer to actually introducing the Octopus to my tank.

I don't see anything that is obviously amiss. Can you tell if something is growing there or if the spots are just raw rock? As a guess, I would say the white spots have been there all along are a place that have been scraped/chipped from handling or an algae scraping critter (like an urchin) but I really can't tell much from the photos. Keeping a series of pictures should help you see if they are growing (or shrinking as they get covered with algae). From the two sets you have, I would some are shrinking and would be either scrapes or dieing sponge, both normal.

Last edited:
OK, that's reassuring, thank you. I can't remember if the white spots were there to begin with, but only noticed them a month ago.

How long and and what rate does algae grow? I haven't noticed much growing yet.

How long and and what rate does algae grow?
IME, Coraline (the purple stuff) grows slowly where you want it and like a weed on the glass (where you don't) :tomato:
Unfortunately, I can't be more specific than that :roll:. My octo tanks get light from an eastward set of windows and all algae (the green, brown and coraline - purple, red and green - grow quite profusely during the month of March each year. I suspect it has something to do with the angle/amount of sunlight but changing temperatures may have a slight impact as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back