• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which protein skimmer do you have, and do you recommend it?

I have a Reef Octopus Dual 6 Recirculating Skimmer and feeding it with a 500gph rio pump. It works great in my 185 gallon tank and pulls a lot of nasty skimmate. It is actually my second skimmer. I used to have a bubble magus that caused nothing but problems. It used to overflow every time I would do a water change so I got rid of it and spent the extra money on the reef octopus skimmer. Since the reef octopus is not located inside the sump, I have less issues with heat and my water quality has been great ever since. If you have a good pocket, I would definitely recommend it.

Innovative Marine Medium size skimmer (up to 65g)

My only complaint sofar is the plastic screws and design of the bracket was useless. It doesnt hold it ontot he skimmer let alone on the tank. I have mine suspended on egg crate and it has been skimming like mad.

Loving the dark green thick muck it's producing.

I've read over this thread a few times, but I'm not any closer to making a decision.

Wondering if someone could make a recommendation for a good protein skimmer for a 55 gallon tank (so I guess rated up to 200 gallons) that would fit nicely in the sump area I have:
VvmrOGnl.jpg

5jXDK4vl.jpg

Appreciate any advice, thank you.

You don't have a lot of space so you options are going to be limited. Height is a major consideration in addition to cubic inches. Many skimmers require several inches above the skimmer cup to allow removal for emptying. Do you have room outside the sump? The skimmer cannister can (usually, if fixed it will be outside) be placed inside or outside the water containment area. I prefer mine inside to minimize overflow problems but my new unit had to be placed outside due to design of the brackets. If you can hang the cannister outside (still keeping in mind height) you still need room for the pump and return piping. For lower end units (I have never owned a high or mid range skimmer but have owned a skimmer twice as expensive as the units I now prefer) I recommend the Coralife brand. But which unit will depend upon what fits. Fortunately, their rating is much closer to reality than most other brands.

Thanks DWhatley :smile:

The dimensions of the Coralife skimmer for 220 gallons seem to be 6" x 8" x 25", which should just fit within the space I have. I have enough height within my cabinet, and I can move the return pump to make some more space. It might make it a bit more awkward to do water changes, but should be fine.

I guess the best way is to get one and see if it fits or not. I might be able to go and check a LFS to gauge the size as well.

If Coralife ratings are closer to reality, I probably wouldn't need a 220g model for a 55g tank...would a 120g model suffice?

How do you find them for setup and install?

If they fit, installation is 5 minutes after you read the instructions. Sometimes they can be a little finicky to adjust when new but less so than others I have had.

You will probably (and should) be removing water from your main tank (while blowing off/cleaning the sand and rock) so taking water out should not be a problem. Refilling and water top offs should be done in the sump though and I recently (last week) found an item that makes that easier for one of my tanks. For years we used a long funnel but the new skimmer is set inside the sump and it is now even more cramped. This gutter down spout extension works way better than the funnel ever did. It is a real time and back saver. I just bend it up and leave it in place when not in use. They come in several lengths so read the extension sizes. They don't appear flexible but with a good pull, the pleats stretch out and the tube can be bent fairly easily for placement but is stiff enough to retain the desired shape.

I do remove the water from my main tank via siphon into a bucket, and then generally refill via bucket on a chair and siphon into the sump.

I guess that would still work if there was a skimmer in there.

I'm also looking at the reef octopus skimmer which is a hangon skimmer, although that would have to go on the side of my tank rather than the back....not sure if that would be possible.

Any there any disadvantages with the hangon skimmer versus an in sump skimmer?

Both the reef octopus and coralife seem to be rated accurately...would a 120gl model be fine for a 55gl tank in that case, or better to be higher?

Mine are rated close to the true capacity or would be if the new skimmer had fit the largest aquarium (missed by 1/4 inch) so now I have an undersized model on the big tank and an over-sized model on one of the others. The point being that you can't overskim a ceph tank (except for your budget) but you also have to be able to accomodate the unit. Depending on the Coralife model, they will either be outside (still can be used in the sump) or inside. The biggest concern with an outside the tank skimmer is the potential for skimmer cup overflow with wet skimmate. This usually occurs when first setting them up (and can be problematic for a week or so and it is necessary to monitor the cup to avoid a wet floor with the outside unit), when you use a new filter sock that is not thoroughly rinsed (produces lots of harmless suds) or when something large dies and produces a lot of protein. All my skimmer would be inside the sump if I had my druthers but the new Coralife is not configured to run that way. Fortunately I have tile floors :roll:.

Actually I'm wondering if I could get some assistance...wondering if due to my setup I might be limited to a hangon skimmer...

This is my tank setup:

gs4Qufc.jpg

My concern is the water(and waste) from the left sump will not always flow through to the right sump where the filter would be.

Also going to have the left sump as a refugium and don't want pods being skimmed out if they go into the right sump, which is where I could put the sump.

Would prefer an in sump skimmer as I travel a lot for work and don't want to have to deal with wet floors, but not sure if it's possible...

Leaning towards the Coralife super skimmer, model CD-22941. Seems it can be hang on or in sump and might fit in the sump space I have.

Not sure if I can skim in sump if I want to have a refugium. Does anyone know if use that skimmer as a hang-on if it would be OK on the side?

Easy enough to octoproof if a hang-on?

Just an update, I went with the Reef Octopus SSS-NWB-150, the space saver version.

It is quite, needed no tuning and started producing some skim immediately. Very easy maintenance and highly recommended so far.

Hi, complete newbie here! The guy at my LFS says he uses a Tunze nano 9004 skimmer for his cuttlefish, checked out the display there, tank seems relatively clean. I plan to get a 55 gal tank, not sure if I should get a Reef Octopus or stick to Tunze. Which one do you prefer or which type should I choose for my tank?

there are a million different skimmers out there. One thing i want to mention is getting used skimmers is a way to get a very good skimmer for a reasonable price. I am shocked at the prices for some of the new skimmers out there. 500$ for a skimmer is just to much. I have 6 reef tanks running in my house and not a one of them have a new skimmer on it. Reefoctopus is a good skimmer and Tunze are very good skimmers also. When your in that class of skimmer then it comes down to personal preference I have 3 reef octos running and am very happy with them. I also have a Coralife 65 skimmer running that has been running for 8 years and does a great job 2. Saying one is better then the other is just personal opinions. As long as its making good skimmate and your N03 is very low then your doing it right. Yes bigger is normally better but the one thing to look at is the pump specs. How much flow does the pump have and also how much air flow. the tunze 9004 is rated for 15-65g which is pretty small. Not sure what tank size you looking to put this on

My 330Gal Octo System (150Gal Display Tank) is being setup to house and run a LifeReef VS3 - 72" Tall Dual Input, Counter Current, Mazzei Injectors also going to have 3 large reactors on/in the sump (1 for Carb, 1 for Phos & 1 for Bio Pellets) however there is also going to be a refugium in the sump but considering the amount of waste Cephs can make I don't want to take any chances so going both.

If the Refugiums turns out to just not be able to thrive or is getting to little nutrients, I might turn it into a holding tank for live food for the Ceph above.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back