• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which protein skimmer do you have, and do you recommend it?

Skimmers

Let me first qualify this stament by saying I do not work for a company that sells or manfactures skimmers. Our new marine test system uses a Tunze Master DOC series skimmer. We have used quite afew brands over the years, and I am amazed at how well this unit works. I pulls things out of the water like crazy, and I like its patent pending overflow protection. There will be some pics of it running on our system and some pics of our new octopus avalable soon. I will post them here when I get a chance.

:welcome: to TONMO! I'm sure many of us will be interested in the pictures (of the skimmer and the octopus!)

:welcome: 13engrsapper. I myself use an aqua c remora, I still can't get it to function perfect, water is still coming out relatively clear...maybe it just needs to run a little while longer???

It depends on the system...For a large tank you cant beat a becket skimmer but they are LOUD so a remote filter room is a big plus when using one. For my 90 gallon i use a DAS external recirculating skimmer and the thing is awesome! it is a deltec without the price and deltec logo on it...For my 36 gallon i use a DIY skimmer and it really gets the job done but there isnt much of a bioload in the tank so i didnt need anything that powerful. For my mantis tank i use another DIY skimmer but this one is airstone driven where the other one i built is a venturi skimmer. Finally on my soon to be cuttlefish tank i use a tunze nano doc. Don't really have an opinion on it yet since i dont have any livestock in the tank and both the tank and skimmer are relatively new.

Several people have recommended the Coralife skimmer for a decent low end unit. We have tried a variety ranging from $75 (various imports) to over $300 (Red Sea Berlin) and like the Coralife the best for this price range. It is quite, allows the pump to actually sit on the bottom of the sump and has a return cup to minimze bubbles AND produces the most skim.

Its a great skimmer! a friend of mine was using the mce300 on a 30 gallon bare bottom reef that was mesh modded and the thing pulled some serious skim-mate! So i would have to assume the 600 is also a very good skimmer.

Looking at 2 different skimmers any suggestions

I am looking at the Octopus HB-300 Dual hang on back skimmer anyone know anything about this one? Also looking at Red Sea Prizm Hang-on Protein Skimmer. Anyone know which one is better?

KYClownfish;113480 said:
I am looking at the Octopus HB-300 Dual hang on back skimmer anyone know anything about this one? Also looking at Red Sea Prizm Hang-on Protein Skimmer. Anyone know which one is better?

How big is your tank? I would never reccomend a Red Sea Prizm...

I have two Red Sea Prizm skimmers both of which work great ( once they are broken in and you figure out the adjustments ) I also have a Seaclone that I would not recommend :banghead::banghead:but after a few mods and patience with the adjustment seems to be working ok. The mod that made the difference is one I haven't seen before but worked for me seal the air intake hose to the hole in the collection cup lid so you create a small vacuum to help draw the bubbles up to the cup.

What size for the Red Seas? I've used Cpr, Tunze, Euro Reef, Remoras, Red Seas and the only one that I would use again would be Euro's maybe Remoras.

I am in need of advise,
I am looking at purchasing this set up:

200 Gallon Aquarium Sump Refugium wet dry filter with a Protein skimmer included- dimensions of skimmer are 4'' X 4''X 19''
Refugium light include- comes with 2X 13 watt compact 6500k bulbs

Skimmer Pump and return pump are included

Skimmer pump is a Catalina Aquarium 635 GPH (Gallons per hour) pump

Return Pump is a Catalina Aquarium 850 GPH (gallons per hour) pump

Mineral Mud included! Live natures ready to get your refugium started immediately

This will all cost about 280 (including shipping)
I only have a 80 Gallon, but I heard it was best to get more powerful filters and skimmers. Is this a rip? I am trying to set up a Bimac Aquarium? Too much? Anyone sellign there used stuff on ebay?

Thank you !!!

(edit: miss understood your post)
That seems like a reasonable deal.. i wouldnt use a wetdry on a saltwater tank..
what kind of skimmer does it come with?
If you ever upgrade your tank size, you will already have a nice size sump to go along with it..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back