which octopus should i choose??

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Octoman=^_^=, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Octoman=^_^=

Octoman=^_^= Cuttlefish Registered

Hello I am new to TONMO and think it is one of the best resources for cephalopod lovers. I was just wondering if a bimac needs a chiller to thrive and if so what are some warm water specimens besides a caribbean reef octopus?

2. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Yes, bimac need chillers. What size tank do you have set up? I can reccomend a species from there.

3. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: to TONMO

Bimacs definately need a chiller, as they require a temperature around 60 degrees.

Other Carribean species are O.Briareus(75+ gallons) O.Mercatoris(15-40 gallons), O. Hummelincki(40+ gallon). another warm water species we see is the A.Acleatus(40+Gallon) from Indonesia. There are others but these are the most common.

You should read through the Journals and check out the "list of our octopuses 20.." It will help you get an is a what people are keeping and the requirements for different animals
    http://www.tonmo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-Journals-and-Photos

4. Octoman=^_^=

Octoman=^_^= Cuttlefish Registered

Thanks I have a 75 gallon and was interested in a bimac but a chiller is very expensive. I will probably get an O.briareus or A.aculeatus

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: to TONMO!

6. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

An aculeatus is pretty small for a 75. You might have trouble finding it. I have a bimac in a 75 right now and that is the perfect size for them. If you could get a chiller and get a bimac you would be set.