conv_295797.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 78
  • conv_295798.jpg
    conv_295798.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 92
  • conv_295799.jpg
    conv_295799.jpg
    770.7 KB · Views: 94
d you are the best...really surprised at home much he comes out...1 minute after i turn on the atinics he comes right out and walks around...maybe being at the store for so long already exposed to people leering at him all day plus that was the only time he was feed...he likes to grab my finger and yesterday shortly after the pics he let me "pet him"i did it a few times then had a emerald crab for his reward. yesterday was his live day

O.Briarues! Mine Legs is out all the time and loves to play with my hand. we even play a few basic games like hide and seek and tug o war. Legs also like to sit on a paricular rock and have me scratch her between the eyes and the top of her legs. Oh yeah your he may be a she. as it does not appear to keep the third leg curled up, and none of the suckers seem enlarged. You ar5e in for a treat, I love these guys, although I maybe a little bias its the only octo I have kept.

I am glad my instructions were not too esoteric in their format. It is always hard for me to know if I am communicating how do do something since I am a programmer by trade. I made a copy of the instructions to use again :wink:

I was wondering if the constant exposure (and survival in the environment) would produce a more interactive animal. Age also seems to be part of the factor (most very young animals are very shy - I am hoping Puddle is an exception). Mantle size on yours(name?) is definite adult but not necessarily at the end of its life. Please do continue the journal and note its behavior. We have had a few people experiement with containerizing for a week or so to ensure the animal would learn the keeper and feeding routine but this is the first one we have knowingly had to have been kept cooped up for an extended period.

here is one with my hand for size...also since you guys are more experienced how does the "little" leg look in the third pick? is it coming back good etc??? also d do you agree female? it will be a lot easier to name her if confirmation...dont want he/she growing up with a complex lol...........once again guys thanx for all your help

Attachments

• conv_295800.jpg
    conv_295800.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 86
CaptFish mentioned all the things to look for (enlarged suckers and curled 3rd arm to the right - clockwise) to id a male. The very first photo looked a little suspitious on the curled arm but the briareus especially keep it curled all the time. Here is a link to something I created with photos to try to help members look for the signs. Do note that SueNami (featured in the photos) was a boy named Sue though. The identifying arm was completely missing when he arrived so we assumed female.

Yes, the arm growth looks normal. My guess is that it grows about an inch a month but would like others to try to estimate on their own to see if this seems right.

I have her duelly noted in the List sticky.

I am going to try adding M or F to the list this year (and hope I don't run out of space - again) so I have marked her as an F. If you start to notice that the third right arm stays curled please note it here but SueNami always moved with the arm distinctly curled up. I thought the same with the mercs but my pictures indicate that they often relaxed the arm and used it more normally than what we saw with SueNami so it may be he was an extreme case after the loss.

okay she has enclosed herself in a den she made...she is still accepting frozen but has not come out....only arms coming out

This could be just adjustment to being free of the cage. Look for her to come out at night. If you miss her, look for evidence of moved rocks. You could place a few large shells or pieces lose on the sand and photograph their location then see if they are moved the next day. Eating is a good sign.

not good...she took the food today, but the kicked it out the other side...turned the lights off early and she is still sealed up..definate change in behaivor..keep ya updated

That faintly dusted webbing gives "her" such elegance, really. Stub appears to be growing back perfectly. A lot of research into regeneration of aborted structures is performed on salamanders, but I think we should also intensify looking at the HOX set of octopus... Our common ancestry is maybe somewhat more distant, but it's been a lot longer since all three of us became separate :wink:

im not going to bother her today just no traffic and let her relax, i really think she has hunkered down there to lay, maybe being cooped up in the critter keeper and then being free set off a biological clock for her best chance for her eggs....what do you guys think

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back