Which Octo to Choose?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by cephaloholic, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cephaloholic

cephaloholic O. vulgaris Registered

I have an old 36 gallon bowfront in my basement that hasnt been treated with copper and have been wanting to turn it into an octopus tank. I know i dont want mercs because they arent interactive and are nocturnal. What should i do? Would an aculeatus be comfortable in that size tank? If not what are my octo options. I definitely dont want to get a species that will require me to upgrade down the road because i just dont have that kind of money.

Thanks

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Do you have the spare parts to add a sump? I kept Octane (large hummelincki/filosis male) in a 35 thinking it was a 45 with a 10 gallon sump. It was too small in the end for him and the lack of room may have been the reason he started trying to escape. However, my other 2hummelincki females would have been comfortable with that sized tank.

I have only kept an aculeatus for a very brief time (acquired at the end of its life) and I would expect a 36 with sump for additional water (recommend 20 and not 10 gallon) would work. Their arms are longer than most hummelincki but the body is pretty small. If you arrange your LR in a center piled penninsula you should be able to provide a lot of rock climbing/denning and swiming area and a 20 gallon sump would solve most of the water issues (with weekly water changes).

3. cephaloholic

cephaloholic O. vulgaris Registered

dwhatley, I dont have the spare parts to add a sump. If i didn't have one would it still be ok with extremely efficient skimming and frequent water changes?

Thanks

4. DWhatley

Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable confirming that. I change out 5 gallons every week (and upped it to twice a week when Octane got large and started into senescence) and that was will an extra 10 gallons on the 35. The 36 bow is just at the bottom end of maybe with a sump so you don't have a lot of wiggle room. Can you rigg up something to create more volume? A sump does not have to be fancy (but you DO need a reliable pump and overflow). Canisters work well ... for a while but they are so easy to ignore and so difficult to check that I only use that setup on one aquarium that cannot be sump filtered (and only has anemones and a few fish). My filter socks and carbon get weekly attention. That being said, my little merc tank has a simple Skilter (and LR) and does well with a 30% water change weekly so large weekly water changes (10 gallons) might compensate but eventually you have paid for a sump with the salt and effort without ever having the sump.

5. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

6. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Liveaquaria always seems to be a gamble you never know what your going to get. I have ordered other stuff from them but not Cephs. There are a lot of people that have used them, but again it was a gamble as to what you were actually going to get.

Aculeatus is from Indonesia

7. Ryan Smith

ok, thanks, I remeber hearing that they sold them. And Im hoping that they actualy know enough about octopode to at least semi succesfully identify them. Im weary about their description though... 2-5 inches? They might be talking about how long their tenticles are when they ship them. Acleatus' mantles are much smaller than 5 inches I thought? I thought they were 2.5in or something.

8. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Most place you buy from have no idea what kind of octo they get and the specifications. Aculeatus are from indonesia. If you order the indonesia octo then you will get some kind of octo in the adbopus complex(spelled that wrong). So if you dont get an aculeatus you will get one thats is like but a little different.

9. Ryan Smith

What are the major differences? If they are basically identical thats fine. I still want a generaly friendly species, and diurnal is best. So if I order from them Im not going to end up accidentaly getting a large octo or anything like that right?

10. CaptFish

They dont.

11. CaptFish

It's a pure gamble. You just have to be ready to care for whatever comes your way. You could get a full grown dwarf species, or you could get a nice Briareus.

"...the question you gotta ask yourself is... 'Do I feel Lucky?'...Well, do ya?" -Dirty Harry

12. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

if you get the indonesian species you should be fine and probabaly wont get a large octo. There is always a risk though.

13. Ryan Smith

If I end up accidentaly getting a large octo, what do I do? I cant care for it in a 40 gal tank. What do you do if you cant care for an octo, unlike fish, im guessin you cant bring them to a lfs.

14. CaptFish

If that happens we'll deal with it then. I thought you still had to get and cycle the tank.

15. Ryan Smith

Yup, Im trying to get 100% ready for my octo. Learning about them is keeping my mind off of the 3+ month wait.

16. DWhatley

As I mentioned in a prior post, the Indonesian octos from Live Aquaria journaled on TONMO have always turned out to be either abdopus or macropus complex animals of relatively small size (none that would not work in a well maintained 40). They DO NOT SPECIFY SPECIES, only local, and they do not send the same specific species in either of the two complex all the time (I was expecting abdopus and got macropus with Puddles. I adore this complex but had wanted a diurnal octo - would not trade Puddles for the world though). You do not have to worry about briareus if you order one marked Indonesian as the origin but you DO have to worry about it if you choose (when it is available) the Caribbean option. Both are shown as options when you place an order but both are not always available.

17. Ryan Smith

Thanks. How much interaction do you get with a nocturnal octo? Are they just more active in a dark room? or do they know when its night?

18. DWhatley

Ryan,
    The best way to get an idea of what to expect from a species or complex is to read through several of the journals. If you will click on Forums->Journals and Photos you will see several threads that remain at the top of the forum, regardless of dates posted (we call them stickies or stuck threads). In the Journals and Photos forum you will see stickies for List of Our Octopuses #### where #### is a year. The list shows the species and the name of the animal and, starting in 2008, will be linked to the threads journaling the listed octopus. The only caution I would have you keep in mind that the journals are over the tank life of each animal so the time span is compressed and sometimes it is not clear on how long it takes to see interaction.

Some octopuses (like briareus) are considered crepuscular (early morning/early evening hunters) and will often acclimate to some daylight activity. Full nocturnals will only interact at night and a night pattern needs to be established (ie you can't just turn off the lights and expect the octopus to think it is night time).

19. Ryan Smith

Thats what I figured. Its fine though, I'd rather have a diurnal over nocturnal octo, but to tell you the truth I'd be fine with any octo. During the school year interacting would be a problen, but summer, weekends, and breaks I could spend hours with them. I want to own a tropical pet store or something like that. I love fish and other sea life. Marine biologist would be cool too, but Im not a fan of the water that much. Sadly, you would think owning a fish store wouldnt be considered a succesful job... Oh well, Ill win the lottery, move to florida, and own a tropical fish store, and I will just be able to go diving and catch my own fish. I guess its been a passion for 15 years. As corny as it sounds my first word as a baby was fishes. I didnt have a fish either, so the word was totaly random