• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

which octo can go in a 29g aquarium?

More or less, you have the idea. I would have said keep adding to the tank rather than wait for it (excuse the reference :biggrin2:) but the idea is to continue to build the bioload. This is not really different than adding cycle fish but more productive in the end. Much of the short read literature does not explain the purpose of cycle fish and the real time it takes to mature a tank (and they don't really mature for about a year with new things developing in your LR even over 2 years - I have had sponges "show up" after 4). Most LFS want to sell you stuff so they only read the part about 0 ammonia and nitrite and don't learn about how to mature a tank.

DWhatley;174412 said:
More or less, you have the idea. I would have said keep adding to the tank rather than wait for it (excuse the reference :biggrin2:) but the idea is to continue to build the bioload. This is not really different than adding cycle fish but more productive in the end. Much of the short read literature does not explain the purpose of cycle fish and the real time it takes to mature a tank (and they don't really mature for about a year with new things developing in your LR even over 2 years - I have had sponges "show up" after 4). Most LFS want to sell you stuff so they only read the part about 0 ammonia and nitrite and don't learn about how to mature a tank.

thanks so much, cycling now makes so much more sense. thanks for all the info. the tank arrives wednesday so ill set it up with ro di water live sand. im adding some live rock friday and some more next tuesday( lfs gets a shipment off premium liverock instead of standard)

starting to look for places to by a joubini. i saw one place that is like gulf coast marine supply laboratory or something like that and they say that they have joubinis has anyone ever ordered from them?

DWhatley;174412 said:
More or less, you have the idea. ... the idea is to continue to build the bioload.
I completely agree that the idea is to build the bioload. More precisely, it is to increase the size of the population of denitrifying bacteria that live on/in your live rock, and to increase it until the population is large enough to consume what your octopus, and other tank mates, will produce. You do this by gradually increasing the amount of food (animal waste (ammonia)) available for the bacteria to eat, and you do that by increasing the number of animals in the tank (bioload).

The number of bacteria in your tank will, given a little time, always rise or fall to match the total amount of ammonia (waste) produced by all the animals in your tank (your bioload). That means that if your bioload is steady for a few weeks, there will be just enough bacteria living in your tank to eat all the waste your animals produce - but no more than that. When you add another animal, the amonia level in your tank will neccessarily rise at first because there aren't quite enough bacteria to eat it all, at the new higher rate that it is being produced. Then, given a few days or weeks (depending on how large an increase in bioload it was) the bacteria population will grow to match the new higher rate of ammonia production, and things will be in balance again. During this few days or weeks, there will be elevated levels of ammonia and/or nitrite, which, if high enough, could stress the animals in the tank. Therefore it's best to start with animals that can handle these conditions without suffering (or dying), and/or with animals that only slightly increase the bioload, so that the resulting mini-cycle is so slight that it doesn't cause more than a slight increase in ammonia and nitrite.

I think that the best way to add an octopus to a cycled tank is to do it in such a way that the total bioload doesn't increase, so that the octopus won't have to suffer through elevated levels of ammonia and nitrite. The only way to do that is to remove some animals at the same time that you add an octopus. Ideally, the group of animals you remove will have been eating, in total, about as much food per week, as the octopus will eat, so that the net change in bioload will be close to zero. For this reason, in addition to the animals that D mentioned, I like to use a lot of tough, inexpensive fish to build the bioload (adding one or two fish every 10 or 20 days), and then (after everything stabilizes) swap the fish out and put the octopus in. I can sell the fish back to the LFS (usually for store credit equaling 50% of the purchase price of the fish). If my tank has only a few hermit crabs and other small animals in it, I think adding an octopus would amount to a huge increase in bioload (200% - 1000%?). If the octopus is also tiny, maybe it won't be a problem, but anything over about a 15% increase in bioload makes me nervous.

The times I got a joubini, they were mis-IDed briareus. I'm not sure how to get one purposely, and it's hard to tell them apart. I mentioned them because I thought I read in an earlier post that someone can get you one. If you get a chance (when your tank is ready) they are cool. I've only ever gotten one by "mistake."

update: added liverock and unfortunatley noticing some gsp growing on it. i removed the path the best a could but it will be back. not sure if it will harm an octo. i hope not

Sorry, can you qualify what kind of polyps? I am pretty weak on most coral knowledge since I primarily keep relatively simple animals to more or less ensure I can put an octopus in most of my tanks (a lot of double talk because there are a couple of exceptions :wink:). There are two concerns with polyps, one is the sting and concern for infection and the other is the potential for eating the young (we often see fertile O. mercatoris females during the spring). I have one group that does not seem to be an issue with the first problem (the O.briareus walk all over them without flinching, unlike some I removed from one tank) but determining the octo-safeness is often a trial and observe issue. If you see the octo react, I would remove the rock or continually remove the polyps.

no more signs of gsp. yay. all my levels are perfect. live stock= 5 blue legged hermits, 2 nass snails, hawaiian feather duster, tiny brittle star, colony polyps green and brown colony, rhodactis and green striped mushrooms........ okay i broke down and got a 3 striped damsel but he was on sale!!! he will be removed when octo gets so as to replace the octos bioload. also
aquacon has antlantic octos for sale 59.99. anyone know what species?????
setting up a 5 gallon tank for some live feeder shrimp and forthe polyps or mushrooms as they are already growing and reproducing. also i dont know if octos will eat feather dusters but as he was a hh on fiji rock i wont care if he gets eaten.

Because of your tank size (and I wish you had gone slightly larger) you must be certain it will be a dwarf species. eBay (I can't recall the vendor but they come in his live rock), TomsTropicals, occasionally SeaLifeInc and MarineBioGuy (TONMO name, not sure if he is still active) are the known places where they are often advertised and the sellers have a good idea which octo species they are selling.

The feather duster poses no problem for an octo and should be OK as long as it is not frequently trampled. Dwarfs should not be a problem but I have trouble keeping them with the larger octos.

Use rock that has been established for years or at best months and provide lots of other places that bioligical bacteria to thrive in. I wouldn't waste time with using raw table shrimp to speed up a cycle but I've heard of some people using amonia to do this with faster better results.

I wont use raw table shrimp. im just letting the tank keep cycling. getting some good corraline growth. my dad and i just bought a 200 gallon tank. im splitting it in half using blue acrylic to create two seperate tanks. one for an octo and one for reef. but i really want a joubini or merc for now i would feel terrible getting a larger species. which i fear more and more. my lfs lady may take one as she cares for cuttlefish s.bandesis at her home. i will only use livefoods so if the dont get eaten they wont mess up my water parameters

DWhatley;175792 said:
How cool is that?:biggrin2: Has your dad had other saltwater tanks or has your interest and enthusiasm been contagious?

me and my dad got reef fever when i was in 6th grade and we got my first saltwater tank which was a 50 gallon, it ended being a lionfishes home that we caught in islamorada. he was and still is the only inhabitant other than clean up in the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back