• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Which kind of Octopus ??

Victor

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I want to keep an octopus (not yet of course :wink: ) and I want to know what is the minimum size of an aquarium for an O. vulgaris ?? and what is the best species of octopus's diurnal (an octopus who likes the daytime and the light) (octopus vulgaris?)??

thank

ps : sorry for the mistakes but I am french :roll:

Victor;166347 said:
Hello,
I want to keep an octopus (not yet of course :wink: ) and I want to know what is the minimum size of an aquarium for an O. vulgaris ?? and what is the best species of octopus's diurnal (an octopus who likes the daytime and the light) (octopus vulgaris?)??

thank

ps : sorry for the mistakes but I am french :roll:

Your English is fine, and I'm willing to forgive you for being French (but I would like an explanation for Morbier cheese - so stinky!).

What species are available to you?

Take a look at the last post in this thread, by DWhatley

She says that O. Vulgaris needs a tank that is 130 gallons or larger (500 liter +), and that vulgaris is "Crepuscalar" (active at dawn and dusk). She lists several other species.

One thing to be aware of is that many suppliers of octopus don't know what species they are selling, or are wrong about their ID, so if you are buying by mail it is hard to predict what you will get. Even if you buy it yourself it might be hard to identify what you are buying (but you can take a camera to the pet store and let Tonmo people help you identify it before you buy).

Ok thanks;
DWhatley said : "Octopus vulgaris - Crepuscalar - Caraïbes - 130 + gallons
Briareus Octopus - Crepuscalar - Caraïbes - 65 + gallons
bimaculoides Octopus - diurne - West Coast Pacifique - 50 + gallons
Octopus hummelincki - diurne - Caraïbes - 50 + gallons *
aculeatus Abdopus - diurne - Indonésie - 45 + gallons
Macropus sp - Indonésie - Nocturne - Indonésie - 45 + gallons
Mercatoris Octopus - Nocturne - Caraïbes - 20 + gallons "
I was talking about the O. vulgaris because I can fish it in the mediterranean sea when I want but then as I need at least 150 gallons for it then I do not think it will be possible but I think bimac looks interesting, is it easy to find? and the O.hummelincki?

Bimacs are a cold water species and requires a tank with a chiller, and temps under 65 degrees F. They are hard to get cause no one sells them then only one to get one is to go to California and catch one yourself.

Hummelincki is basically a warm water bimac. they are found in the waters off Florida and Haiti. I have a local source to buy them but I think it may be hard to come across one in France.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back