• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Where to get Rare and Exotic Cephalopods

Hello! I'm fairly new to the Cephalopod hobby. I had two Dwarf Cuttlefish eggs, but they just sorta shrunk and died:sad: I know that we should all begin on beginner cephs.. As I would start again on Dwarves, but I've always had an interest in either the Nautilus or the Flamboyant Cuttle. But I've always wondered where people get them!! My LFS NEVER gets in cephalopods! Only once they had a bimac.. But it was only there for a week! Any good sites or places that (when I'm experienced enough) I can get exotics?
Thanks

Hi don't want to sound negative but we actively discourage people getting these. Their population numbers are relatively unknown in the wild and even for very experienced aquarists these are difficult to keep! By your own admission, you are new to cephs and I would really, really, really suggest you start with something else!!!! Also you would need such a HUGE tank you really couldn't do it at home. For other cephs though.......check out the ceph care forums, chat with Thales, Nancy, Colin etc all very experienced people. I'm in NZ so can't help with where to source a ceph, but others may have idea's. I'd pretty much give up on the exotics, I wouldn't try, and Marine Science and Aquarium work is my profession!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with your ceph quest and :welcome:! Jean

Unfortunately, "easy" is relative. With a lot of thanks to Thales, it is possible to keep bendensis today but I would not call it easy. In truth, it may be easier to keep officianalis but they are so large, home keepers don't have the needed tank size for one, let alone several.

Ya I understand that officianalis is easier to care for, but, as mentioned, they are too big to keep...... So when I meant easy ones I meant easier ones than the rare and exotics.... But thanks for the tip though

Is there a way that you could volunteer at a nearby zoo or aquarium that houses cephs? That way you could interact with rarer cephs and get experience too. You could still try to keep dwarf cuttlefish.

Well I live near the Monterey Bay Aquarium and they have several Ceph exhibits.. 2 GPO exhibits, 1 Pharoah Cuttlefish exhibit (my friend bred these guys and gave them to the aquarium) and behind the scenes they have Flamboyants and maybe more (don't remember all of them, been about six months since I've been).... I don't know if they accept volunteers(I'll check on their website)
I've been thinking it over and I'll eather get a bimac(like a pet that will interact with you) or dwarf cuttlefish(as they can be put in groups and easily bred)
Hopefully soon I can say " I have a Cephalopod!"

There is a lot going on behind the scenes at MBA, but that is there story to tell. :biggrin2:

If you want to vol for them, the best way to start is their website. Good luck!

See Richard, I am not the only one who KNOWS you work for the Steinhart Aquarium (California Academy of Sciences) in San Francisco but confuses it with MBA in Monterey when cephs come up. Played with any Great Whites lately? :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back