• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

where to get cephalopod embryos in Germany / EU

000generic

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi Tonmo!

I'm a postdoctoral researcher at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology working on cephalopod genomics and the establishment of a laboratory research model for cephalopods. I'm visiting the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, Germany right now for a light sheet microscopy course. I would like to image live cephalopod embryos, as part of the course. I had originally planned to get embryos from another researcher but it turns out his eggs all hatched. I was wondering if anyone might know of a quick source (research or commercial) for eggs of any species. Smaller eggs are generally better but would be very happy to have anything, especially if we could receive them in Dresden by the end of the week. A source within Germany or the EU would be ideal, if only to keep shipping costs and customs delays to a minimum.

As an aside, I have a new web project, Octosquid, on the cephalopods of Okinawa and the animals we work with at OIST.

Cheers,
Eric

I would check with an local fish and coral importers or fish/coral stores. Dwarf cuttle, Sepia bandensis, eggs seem to be available in your part of the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back