where to find octopus?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by cephlapodlover, Nov 1, 2009.

1. cephlapodlover

cephlapodlover Blue Ring Registered

I've been looking for octopuses but cant find them anywhere. Can someone tell me where to find one.

2. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+500+1719&pcatid=1719

this is where i got mine. The packaging is pretty good and they are covered for 14 days. The indo pacific is usually an Aculeatus, which is good for tanks that are smaller than 55gal. I have mine in a 46gal bowfront and she is very happy. Aculeatus are diurnal and very interactive! The only problem with this site is that they are usually older octos.

3. cephlapodlover

thank you thats great how is he/she doing.

4. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: check out the "Octopus Availability" thread for a lot of discussion about where to get octos

5. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Live aquaria actually dosent cover the 14 days. They say that in the small print. They dont do that beccause it is so hard to keep.

Another spot you could check is saltwaterfish.com. The get a hummelinki in every now and then. The only problem with them they usually send you a sick or dieing octo.

6. kpage

kpage Wonderpus Supporter

oh really? well thanks for the correction!

She is great, i haven't updated her journal for a while but she is quite a character and lets me touch her all the time!

7. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Actually, I believe they do still honor their posted guarantee and the 14 day guarantee is listed with the description of this one (as with Maya in Diver's Den which they honored because of incorrect species and the fact that she started showing brooding behavior immediately - which would not have been the case with an actual maya this small. Additionally O. maya eggs would have been large with a potential for aquarium rearing). The footnote says it is expert only but I cannot find anywhere that thay reduce the guarantee (alive arrival is clearly stated).

8. cephlapodlover

thanks

9. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

OOPS:eek: sorry i thought i saw something that said that when i got my new guy from there but i just went and checked. Sorry:shock:

10. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Unlike most of their info, it is not clear as you wade though the small print and I went to several different pages. If the 14 day guarantee was not highlighted on the page you really would not have an argument if they said it arrived alive only. They may do it this way to choose to NOT give the full guarantee at some point.

11. Antropoteuthis

Antropoteuthis Cuttlefish Registered

you could just dive near the shore and look for one. If you have a big enough pot to take it.. just poke it, and make him come out. Put the pot behind him, and he will blindly swim into it. Be carefull not to harm it. Advice: ensure you close really well the tank when you introduce it, they easily escape.

12. cephlapodlover

i live in ohio so cant dive for a octopus

13. Bob 1000

Bob 1000 Cuttlefish Registered

NyAquatics.com can custom order them.. I got my old one from there, sometimes they have in stock..

14. zbarry0112

zbarry0112 Larval Mass Registered

do you know if you can dive for them in new england? i thought they liked warmer waters than what we have in boston. i am really trying to find a reliable source for an octopus bc i am going to set up an aquarium pretty soon so that it can mature and i can get an octopus in about 3 months. does anyone sell them on the site? any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks!
    zoe

15. Tanngu87

Tanngu87 Larval Mass Registered

16. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

keep an eye on the "Octopus Availability" thread for the latest info on where they are available...

17. Damien

Damien O. vulgaris Registered

In France few shops provides octos sometimes, but most of them are not really aware of "ceph care" constraints ( and there are a lot).

The only one I knew renounced.

Most of the french ceph fans i've heard about,are keeping sepia officinalis or Octopus vulgaris ( captured on French coast) but of course size is clearly a problem.