Where oh where is Professor Gilly?

Earlier this year I read a fantastic article called "Squid Sensitivity" in DISCOVER mag (which I promptly sent to Tony), featuring a Prof. William Gilly who studies the neurobiology of Dosidicus gigas. (He also works extensively with Cuttles.) Then this weekend I watched the DEVILS OF THE DEEP special which also featured Prof. Gilly.

In addition to his brilliant research, Prof. Gilly has a profound emotional dedication to his subjects, to the extent that the sight of a dying Humboldt literally moved him to tears -- which he was unashamed to show on camera. In another scene, he affectionately commented, "Isn't she nice?" as he hand-fed an elderly and rather pathetic female Cuttle who had permanently reverted to her original skin color.

Actually I'd like to propose to Prof. Gilly, except I can't 'cause I'm already married. :smile: However, I'd gladly settle for chatting with him on the TONMO message boards. So what I'd like to know is this:

• - Is Prof. William Gilly one of us? (i.e., a TONMO member)

- If so, has he ever posted to our boards? (I don't visit the scientific message boards as often as I do the others.)

- If not, how can we get him to join? It would be a damn shame if he weren't a member -- I think he would fit in perfectly, as a human being just as much as a scientist.
Someone here must have information about the Prof, and if so we should cast out some nets and not let him get away!

Hopefully,
Tani

Tani,

I looked him up and extended an invitation to our site. I've read some of his work online (Journal of Experimental Bio). The guy is top notch.

I really would like another scientist on the site. I hope he looks us up. I would like to read his posts, if I don't annoy him with my ceph neurology questions. :lol:

Sushi and Sake,

John

If not, how can we get him to join? It would be a damn shame if he weren't a member -- I think he would fit in perfectly, as a human being just as much as a scientist

hear hear!

I really would like another scientist on the site. I hope he looks us up. I would like to read his posts, if I don't annoy him with my ceph neurology questions. :lol:

I'd like to hear a neurobiologist's take on some of these types of questions too!

J

Tani my dear, stalking prof. gilly might not encourage him to join :smile: wait til hes a member before you salivate over him....

until then i give you permission to drool over me :roll:

im currently watching the program right now.... they just made reference to blue sharks "loving" to eat squid... kinda ties into steves comment on another thread...

Professor Gilly

I worked with him on my senior thesis! He and Thoman Preuss supervised me at the Hopkins Marine station in Monterey.

He was a really neat fellow. I hope he does join the site.

Maybe a note from someone he already knows and respects would encourage him to join (hint hint).

We could also invite him to a chat scheduled at his convenience. This would offer an opportunity to ask those neurobio questions.

Melissa

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back